Monday, June 21, 2010

Time stands still

Here it is again, the solstice. That can only mean more solorgraphs.

Not much has changed from the other two times I tried this.

These first pictures are from the paint cans on the chimney. For my first try at solorgraphy, I had the cans attached to the chimney vertically and had the pinholes centered on the cans' sides. This let me see a lot of the foreground but it chopped off much of the sun's paths towards summer.  The second time, I put little blocks on the bottoms of the cans so they were pointed a bit higher in the sky. This made it so that there was nothing captured on the roof but got more of the sun's higher passes.

This time I pointed the cans straight ahead again but I moved the pinholes higher on the cans. This got more of the sun's paths than the first try and some of the foreground that was missing from my second attempt.

The tops of the sun's paths are still missing.

See the first post for the views taken with a normal camera.

Here's the view from the Guinness can I had on the weather station's tripod. I moved the pinhole higher on the can so it got all of the sun's travels across the sky. But the beer can doesn't seem to want to capture anything but the sun and a few trees' silhouettes.
I guess this picture shows our weather pretty well. We had a very warm January. This picture shows that we had a long period of sunny weather in the early part of the year (near the bottom of the sun's travels). Then it shows we had our normal May Gray and June Gloom as the sun climbs higher.

We're finishing up our June Gloom. Now we're heading into hot weather.

One day in March I found some 3-pound coffee cans at work. I thought that if a little quart paint can got more detail than a Guinness can, maybe a big coffee can could show even more detail.

It does.

But it doesn't manage to get much height.

I have 8 by 10 inch photo paper. That doesn't wrap very far around the inside of a coffee can. So I made 7 by 17 inch sheets by stapling two overlapped sheets together and trimming the height.

Here are my pictures from coffee cans that were strapped to the weather station's tripod below the Guinness can. In the bottom picture you can see the chimney where the paint cans were hung with care. These two pictures are looking in the same directions as the first two pictures above.  They're just 15-20 feet to the north of the chimney's pictures.


The black things on the bottom corners are little magnets I used to keep the paper in place.

I might try the coffee cans one more time. If I move the pinholes I suppose I can get a little more of the sun's paths. But I'd lose the stuff on the roof and not really get much more of the sun. But I have a lot of photo paper left so there's not a lot to lose. Unless I fall off the roof. 

4 comments:

Poss said...

hot hot hot!

Colleen said...

Why don't you move that lazy beer can indoors and have it record the activity when you two are at work. The sun makes lovely slug-like paths.

Shoe said...

I love this project; thanks for sharing! They are very good photos! You should enter them in a contest or the county fair.

RetroMag said...

You do such interesting things with cans and photo paper. And the result is quite stunning.