Sunday, January 8, 2012

Getting juiced

For many years I've been having orange juice with my breakfast cereal. For a while I was even using the juice on my cereal. I haven't been a milk drinker for many, many years. Now I use soy milk on my cereal.

For many years I've been telling myself that orange juice from concentrate isn't much more than orange-flavored sugar water that is fortified with vitamin C.

I've been saying we should get a juicer so we can make wholesome juices that have more than just sugar and flavor in them.

A couple of months ago I was down to one can of orange juice concentrate when we went to Costco. We came home with a new six pack of OJ.

A week later we went to Costco again. I don't remember why we needed to make a return trip in such a short time. We came home with Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer Deluxe. Impulse shopping at Costco is so easy (and fun!).

We have a new gadget! We've used it every day since then!

Carrots. Celery. Apples. Ginger. Pineapple. Pears.

Wholesome juices!

Here is this morning's juice. One glass has been made and one has its raw ingredients still to be processed.

Here are its insides after everything has gone through.
The spinning blade grates the vegetables and fruit into very tiny shreds and the juice is spun through the filter. The pulp works its way to the top of the filter and is flung toward the collection bin. A lot gets stuck in the chute along the way.

The recipe book suggests that we collect the pulp and make tasty treats like muffins. We just compost it. Even if the muffins were good for us there is no way that we could eat enough to use much of the pulp.

Since we've started using the juicer I haven't mixed up a can of orange juice.

What do I do with all that OJ?

5 comments:

Shoe said...

Jack LaLanne lived to be 96 and is my hero. I used to exercise with him on TV. I would trust his juicer. Enjoy!

RetroMag said...

How do you make orange juice with it? Peel the oranges first?

Got any neighbors that you can give the canned OJ to? Post "to give away" on your bulletin oard at work? Would the birds like it?

Chuckbert said...

The instructions say to peel oranges but to leave any pith that sticks to the flesh. I would think that throwing the the peel's zest would add desirable flavor but I haven't tried that.

BobbieS53 said...

Make cranberry orange nut bread!

Colleen said...

Make blood orange juice!
Your compost pile must be getting really big. Couldn't you package and market the pulp as a health food?
Make mimosas with the canned OJ.
It must take you forever to get through breakfast what with the esspresso-making and the juicing.