Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Turtle Tchotchke Tuesday

Here's a little "Turkle Hatchling" that, I suppose, might be a little disturbing to the more sensitive of you folk.

But if you eat turkey at Thanksgiving you shouldn't be.

It's made of bones that are covered with gold leaf.

Turkle Hatchling



It's made by Jim Hornung. He doesn't have much of a web presence. Here is an article about an exhibit of his from a few years ago. Here is a video with him discussing his work. And here is a slide show narrated by Mr. Hornung telling us more about his work.

We like it. Do you? Tell the truth!



5 comments:

Colleen said...

I'm glad I read the article, because I couldn't figure out what the wing-like thing on top was. Now I see that it is a wing. The turkle has goth appeal, but I can't say unreservedly that I like it. I did enjoy the bone decorations in the Capuchin Monastery in Rome, but I don't know if I'd want them in my home.

Poss said...

It has an primative appeal, but i have an issue with body parts in the home.

Shoe said...

I think it is ultra cool!

P-Doobie said...

Slightly scary, but still desirable. Where do you display it?

BobbieS53 said...

It's a very intriguing piece. What a nice use for turkey parts.