Friday, April 16, 2010

Another miraculous resurrection!

Not only have outdoor plants been rising from the dead, but one in the house also came back from the great beyond.

A few years ago, I got some African violets from The Home Depot. I planted them in a couple of those two-piece pots where an unglazed pot holding the plant sits in water (and fertilizer) held by the outer pot. The water seeps through the inner pot's wall and keeps the plant watered but not soggy.

One of the plants promptly died. I ended up with a pot of potting soil.

Being the lazy sort, I just left the pot of soil on the coffee table with the other violet. After some time, a couple of months?, some tiny leaves appeared in the soil. My violet lived!

Years came and went and the violet continued to grow.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that it had some blossoms forming. The first one has opened!
There is one more blossom on the stalk.

It's a start.

Here's the other violet I planted at the same time. It's been more successful.

4 comments:

Poss said...

really pretty. maybe I should try your technique as my african violets have always done really bad.

Colleen said...

My friend Sue says you have to give African Violets only a little bit of water at a time to force them to bloom.

RetroMag said...

Bless its little heart, it's realy trying to please you. Even if it doesn't have very many blossoms, Africam violets' foliage is very pretty.

P-Doobie said...

Way to go, li'l violet!