Sunday, April 4, 2010

We love to have Jobs

On Monday, March 29, I got an email from Apple Store telling me that part of my order had shipped. It wasn't supposed to be delivered until Saturday so why was it being shipped so soon? It turned out that it was coming from China.

My iPad was on its way!

If you want to see why this is exciting, you should watch last week's episode of "Modern Family." It's a hoot. And very true to life.

Tracking express deliveries coming from China can be painful (watched pots, you know). It wasn't till Thursday night that it reached the U.S. There it was, in the land of Palin. I hope it didn't pick up too many cooties while it was being processed there.

I checked its progress Friday night before going to bed. It was still in Louisville, KY, and had just gotten its "Import Scan" on the morning that it's supposed to be delivered! I was getting worried.

I woke up Saturday and, before getting out of bed, checked its overnight progress using my iPod Touch that I had had the foresight to leave on my bedside table before going to bed. It had made it to Ontario.

It was still in Ontario.

There was no update on its progress after it left Ontario an hour later. I expected it to go to the local processing center then be shown as "Out for Delivery." But nothing. Lunchtime. Nothing. Relax, Chuckbert, Apple knows what they do.

After lunch I heard the noise of a truck coming to a stop nearby. Could it be? YES, IT WAS! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Witness the pain I went through:

My iPad:

My iPad and its friends, all reading the New York Times.
We see my MacBook Air, Motorola Droid (what, not an iPhone?!), iPod Touch and, oooooh!, my iPad. Just to complete the Apple family, I've included my iPod classic. I don't use it anymore. It doesn't talk to the Internet and the Touch plays all the music I've ripped. Can anybody give it a good home?

I needed the iPad because I've been using my phone and iPod to browse the Internet even though the computer was only a few steps away. Imagine, not using a MacBook Air because it is too big!

And the iPad can do other things. It's a book reader. I've downloaded a few free books.
Unlike the Kindle, it displays color pictures.

Speaking of "The Cask of Amontillado," I remember a few things about reading it in junior high school. I especially remember the line:
"The Amontillado!" ejaculated my friend, not yet recovered from his astonishment.
"Ejaculated!" we all tittered!  This was followed quickly by:
Unsheathing my rapier, I began to grope with it about the recess
"He unsheathed his rapier and groped it" (well, with it). We were on the floor in convulsions.

I have to go and get to know my new friend now.

7 comments:

P-Doobie said...

Please do not read in the bathtub.

Shoe said...

Many congratulations! Yay for technology!

RetroMag said...

Have fun!

Colleen said...

Very interesting! I recall asking you not so long ago whether you planned on getting an iPad, and you declared that you had no need for one! Did my query plant the seed of need?

Chuckbert said...

Times change. I just felt this was the time to get it after all.

And I figured it would be a nicer machine to read the electronic newspaper we subscribe to. It is.

Poss said...

Ms M said she could sure use an iPod.

BobbieS53 said...

You funny! I hope your Apple family continues to grow...I only own the (VERY HEAVY) MacbookPro and an iPod Nano in purple. How many have been sold already?