Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oprah doesn't know what she's talking about

You know those pieces of unsolicited commercial emails you get that tell you that you, too, can lose more than twenty pounds using Oprah's method? This is accomplished, they say, by buying some concoction that flushes all that sludge from your intestines.

Well, it ain't gonna work. Save your money.

Yesterday (and through the night), I flushed (flushed, and flushed again) every bit of sludge from my intestines.  This morning I was 2.4 pounds lighter than the previous morning. I'm guessing that most of that was from dehydration.

This morning I had my first full-length colonoscopy.

Five years ago, I had a doctor who said that a flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years and annual fecal occult blood tests statistically have the same chances of detecting colon cancer as colonoscopies done every ten years. The sigmoidoscopy requires no anesthesia and has fewer risks of damage since it doesn't go as far into the colon. Since I studied statistics in college (I have a degree in math!), I went for the less intrusive tests. (I didn't look into his claim about the statistics but had to believe what he said. He is a doctor, after all.)

That doctor left the group to open a franchise in a cosmetic medicine chain and my new doctor doesn't believe in sigmoidoscopies. (As far as I can tell, my old doctor's laser skin care shop didn't work out. The chain's web site shows only one location in operation.) Five years later it was time to start getting this test.

Yesterday I got to drink water, clear juices, and a couple of liters of prepared MoviPrep. That's nasty stuff. I had a long stare-down with the last glass (the eighth) of the stuff. It was hard to summon the courage to swallow it.

We went in for my 8:30 appointment, filled in the little bit of paperwork and was taken right in. The nurse strapped on the blood pressure cuff and poked in the IV needle. She thanked me for bringing big veins. She told me some of what to expect and said that I wouldn't remember anything after they tell me to "roll onto your left side." She wheeled me into the examination room.

The doctor came in and told me a bit about the procedure and that it would take about half an hour. The nurse put the drug into the IV and told me to roll onto my left side.

No polyps were in there. Come back in ten years.

Jerry took me home before 10:00 and fixed me a toasted sesame bagel and orange juice. He told me that I savored every bite and that I told him that "I'm savoring every bite." This was my first solid food in about 36 hours, after all. I then gently beeped his nose and went to sleep. He told me that I got up from my nap and read the report of my procedure then went back to my nap. I don't remember any of this.

I finally woke up at 2:00 and resumed making lasting memories. Then I napped a lot more.

I didn't get any pictures or videos of the procedure. Instead, you can watch Katie Couric get hers.


I'm glad that's over. The procedure and its weird aftermath weren't unpleasant. The preparation for it was.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

When I had my colonoscopy the laxitive (Duculax) my Dr. had me take was so strong I could feel my intestines quivering all night. I got the dry heaves early in the morning and went to the hospital very early, since I was awake and miserable. My Dr.'s report included some photos of significant points along the way through my colon. No polyps there. I have never touched the sports drink I used during the preparation again.

Shoe said...

I'm glad they got to the bottom of things!

Anesthesia sure can be fun!

Congrats on the clean bill of health.

RetroMag said...

I agree - it's the preliminary procerdure that's the pits. I'm glad you "came clean".

I didn't have any polyps either, and I guess it must be about time for a repeat. Ugh!

And how come that lady was awake during her procedure?

Chuckbert said...

I think that the drug I got that gave me my amnesia (Versed) left me somewhat responsive during the procedure. I guess Ms. Couric got a similar treatment.

Dr. Poss, should I have said no to Versed? There's much disdain for it on the internet forums.

Colleen said...

I was awake during my procedure, and I remembered stuff too.

Shoe said...

Versed is a good name for such a medication. Truth serum! When Squidsan had his chest tube removed, the MD said I could ask him anything and he wouldn't remember. JerBear?

BobbieS53 said...

I couldn't stay awake for mine. They said I could watch...don't remember anything except for the gas they blow in there to let the camera go through...that caused cramping and was unpleasant. The est wasn't. I don't remember anything. I had the same twilight feeling you did. No polyps! YIPPEE.

Poss said...

Versed is great. I have not heard of many problems, only loss of memory of the yucky things that you want to forget.
Good job. I must do it myself sometime

P-Doobie said...

I watched the procedure and was hard put not to try to put English on the probe so it could take the curves more easily.

I had to stay in the recovery room until the nurses heard me fart.

Word verif: popha, which is the sound the nurses heard.