Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Peggy's Big Day

I was looking through the Awkward Family Photos and thought that we probably have some contenders. I got inspired to try to find something in the next batch of pictures. I got out the next carousel of slides and scanned away.

I didn't find anything terribly awkward.

In the post-Christmas, 1972, slides we get to see the family standing around my telescope. You might remember my mirror blank I got for Christmas in 1970. Two years later I have a telescope but not with a mirror that I ground. Nope, it has a commercially made mirror. The tube and tripod weren't featured in the Christmas, 1972, pictures so I'm thinking it wasn't a Christmas present. I'm pretty sure I bought the mirror myself. I'm not sure about the tube and tripod. They might have been presents or maybe I bought them myself. I just don't know. What I do know is that the telescope never worked very well.  Two years of putting together a telescope were pretty much a waste of time.

The big event of 1973 was Peggy and Allan's wedding and reception. A fun time was had by all.

Fortunately, I missed out on helping brand Mabel's cattle. A bit more of that in the next batch of slides!

I graduated from high school around this time. There is no record of that. But then, there was no record of anyone else's graduations. Maybe there are Poloroids of those events.

Christmas 1972 to June 1973:
Carousel-22

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I like your family's Red Period.

Chuckbert said...

Dad was frugal. He found some film processors that made claims that film made for special purposes (other than for consumer slides...I don't know what the films were really made for) could be used by consumers to make slides. All you did was tell them the sort of exposure you used and they'd process the film somehow that was supposed to correct for the circumstances you shot at. The film was cheaper than Kodak's or the processing was cheaper. It clearly didn't work. But he saved money!

BobbieS53 said...

There are a lot of awkward photos in there(awkward for me!). ICK! I wish all those red ones weren't red...some of them are pretty good.
Pagrs? Pagrs? Nice dress.

P-Doobie said...

Thanks, BobbieS53. A needle sings in my couturier's hands.

Thanks, Chuckbert. Ah, the memories.

Shoe said...

Can you believe that the parental units were late 40s/early 50s in these photos?

....Aaah, the 70s! When fashion was.... not. (excepting of course beautiful bride and bride's maid dresses!)


word verif: oudat. "Oudat dang photo processing!"

Poss said...

Fashion polyester!
I like the cowgirl pictures!