Sunday, June 26, 2011

Satan's Sixes Sunday

A couple of weeks ago I said that I had posted all the 666 cartoons from my collection.

I lied.

As my father always told me, you go to hell for lying. As I've said before, I'm going to hell.

Here's one more (the rest of my collection of cartoons, I promise!):
Mixed Media by Jack Ohman
In August, 1987, Jerry and I took our first road trip to New Mexico. Jerry kindly let me take us a little out of our way in order to drive along U. S. Highway 666.

Here's a much younger me discovering the Sign of the Beast.

Me in terror at the sight of the Highway of the Beast:

Me searching for the Beast:

The highway from where it diverges from Arizona Highways 78 and 75 to Springerville is very pretty. You should drive it some time.

It turns out that we traveled along Arizona's stretch of the Devil's Highway just in time. Arizona gave the highway a new number in 1992. The rest of the highway got a new designation in 2003 thanks to a fulfilled campaign promise of Bill Richardson. Politicians!

From The New Mexican, Tuesday, June 3, 2003
There is no more U. S. Highway 666.

The Devil's Highway's fatality rate has gone down since the new designation went into effect. We have proof that the Devil did patrol the highway because of its number and has given up taking His toll simply because it no longer wears His number. Or maybe it's because it became a safer, four-lane highway. No, that's just secular thinking!

I wanted to ask the State of New Mexico if it were possible to get one of the obsolete signs but I never got around to it. After the highway was renumbered the highway signs were stolen in great numbers. I should have just stolen one from Arizona in 1987. They'd have been happy to be rid of it. I was sad.

Imagine my surprise and exhilaration when Peggy visited some time after the highway's redesignation and gave me my own U.S. 666 sign! It's hanging in the garage above the door into the house.

And I became happy!

I've got more newspaper clippings about the horrors of the highway and how they were solved by the number 491. Maybe I'll post some of those in the future.

0 comments: