Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Juror #10

Yesterday I said my chances of being seated on the jury were small. That was true. It's also true that chances are small if you have 10 pairs of socks in a dryer and not having a matching pair until you've found your 11th sock.

Because the chances of an event happening are small doesn't mean it won't happen.

The jury selection process is interesting. Well, dull, mostly. This is going to be a long trial so they collected a large pool of prospective jurors.

They put 12 people in the jury box and six on uncomfortable chairs in front of the jury box. They then asked all the people in the 18 seats many probing questions to try to find out whether either side thought anyone might not be a good juror for their side. They then executed their peremptory challenges, thanking and excusing potential jurors from the jury box. When someone was dismissed, the leftmost person in the row in front of the jury box took the excused person's place. When all of the front row people had been moved to the jury box and another person was thanked and excused, seven more people were called to fill the empty seats.

The seven new people were then asked questions. Fewer questions than before. Seven people were thanked and excused and they did it over and over again. Each cycle had fewer questions asked than before.

Just before lunch the second day of this long process my name was called as the person to fill the empty seat in the jury box and six others got called for the front row. The defense attorney asked my group simply whether we'd like a person like ourselves on a jury should we ever be on trial. The Deputy D.A. asked simply if anybody had anything to volunteer. They were as tired of the process as the rest of us. Or each side was satisfied with the other 11 people and that they'd take their chances with me.

I was sworn in.

After lunch they selected the alternate jurors and testimony began.

I guess that's all the jury experience you're going to hear about from me for three or four weeks.

8 comments:

MrBears said...

Challenge the court reporter. Ask for transcripts frequently.
Remember - the bailiff is your friend. Don't piss him off!

P-Doobie said...

You're lucky to get to do your civic duty, Chuckbert.

When I was on jury duty, we brought snacks and drinks for the breaks and included the bailiff. He loved us. We loved him.

Colleen said...

I'll be on pins and needles until you are free to blab!

Poss said...

I think that it is very cool to be on a jury. I have only been on a mock jury at CUA. The slimy defense attorney kept winking at me. We hung the defendent!

RetroMag said...

Can you go home at nights?

BobbieS53 said...

I've never been on jury duty though I've been called twice. The first time, I never called in and never got arrested so I guess they never needed me. The second time, I did it right and called in every week. I never had to go. I've always wanted to be able to sit on a jury so that I could see up close and personal if it's anything like what I watch on TV!

Anonymous said...

I was selected to sit on a jury once in Texas. We convened the next day and waited in the jury room. And waited... and waited... About 11:00 they came in and told us the guy had entered a plea bargain so we were dismissed. So much for the excitement of seeing our justice system at work.

Shoe said...

Wow! Hope it goes well! That is both exciting and maddening to be on such a long trial.

I haven't been sent a jury duty notice in a long time. I used to get them quite frequently and always had the excuse of having little ones at home to care for. Now, I don't have the excuse, but they haven't called on me.

I would love to do it someday.

Enjoy the process.