Saturday, August 2, 2008

Intuition, Take 2

As promised a few days ago, here are some pictures of Destiny Allison's "Intuition" taken with sharper light. I suppose the flat lighting from the other day works, too, but shadows help a sculpture.

Here's the view from the living room.

And a closer view. I used the flash to fill in the top part that was still in the eaves' shadow. The shadow of the house is coming in at the bottom. I guess I'll have to wait till winter to get the top and bottom fully sunlit at the same time.

And a closer view, this time with no flash. Now the shadow of the backyard ash tree is starting to show up.

With people stealing metals to take to unscrupulous recyclers I didn't want to leave this metal secured only by two easily removed bolts and nuts. (People have stolen bronze grave markers and recyclers have taken them!) So I drilled a hole through the mounting bracket and the part of the sculpture that is mounted to it and put a gnarly padlock on it. I hope I didn't ruin the piece! There are already two holes drilled through these pieces for the bolts. The lock isn't terribly intrusive even when looking from the side. It blends in with the brackets pretty well.

Mom asked for a closer view of the piece by Jason Mernick. It's stainless steel cut with a torch and colored with powder coating. The streaks are ground into the steel and are reflecting the sun. It changes as you move around it and as the sun moves.

2 comments:

P-Doobie said...

Very cool! I'm glad you're protecting your investment from the "recyclers."

RetroMag said...

The sun-lighted pictures bring out the colors and details nicely. Thanks for doing them. It's a really nice piece. And thanks for the photo of the Jason Minnick piece too. It, too, is really nice!