Sunday, March 8, 2009

Just hanging around

Last year, you might remember, we had our trees and oleanders trimmed. The oleanders are between our driveway and our neighbors' driveway. The neighbors got inspired by this and had more of the oleanders trimmed that are along their driveway and our backyard fence.

When we moved here in 1988, the Johnsons had left behind their horseshoes stakes and a pair of horseshoes. The horseshoes were left hanging on the fence near the stakes. The stakes were in the way and got pulled out of the ground and thrown away. The horseshoes were out of the way and hidden by the oleanders and trumpet vine. After more than 20 years they're still hanging on the fence.

Once the oleanders and trumpet vines got trimmed, these relics of the Johnsonian Era were exposed for all the world to see.

What should we do with the horseshoes? Poll in the sidebar.

Poll Results
OptionVotesWINNER
Pitch them1
Leave them hanging5X
Store them safely in the garage (they're sacred relics after all!)0
Send them to Mom...she can't throw anything away!3



So we'll leave them hanging! Thanks for all your votes! (Mom lucked out this time.)

6 comments:

RetroMag said...

WHO VOTED TO SEND THEM TO MOM?

I am glad that whoever it was was outvoted. I have no fence to hang them on. If so, I could retrieve the one (probably from the Kiowa era 57 years ago) that I think is still hanging on the garden fence at 2329-B.

MrBears said...

RetroMag
I voted to leave them on the fence.
My former boss has a horse shoe from his uncle who used to take him to the horse races in NY (when he was under age) He always brought it when he sponsored Race Day at the Del Mar Race Day for Raven (the company I work for - his son owns it now and we no longer have race day)
I think the horse shoes should be left where they are. Sentimental I guess.
Word verification - nonessie which I read at first glance as nonsense.

Shoe said...

I said Pitch 'em. I'm trying to change my ways and sending courage your way to do the same.

Colleen said...

I say buy a horse!

BobbieS53 said...

Whatever you do...DON'T BUY A HORSE! The cheapest thing of horse ownership is the price of the horse. Leave them for sentimental value. They've been there for 20 years, let them be.

Chuckbert said...

I think a horse is not in the future. Look at the size of those shoes. That'll be a BIG horse. With only two feet! That would be a scary horse...a twenty foot tall horse, strutting around the back yard on his hind feet.

I'll pass.