Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shall I Compare Thee to Something Ugly and Gray?; or, Happy Mother's Day!

I just didn't get it.

Here is the "M is For Mother" poem that I wrote when I was almost 10. I should have been old enough to understand the concept of this genre of poetry.

Except for the first line none have anything to do with Mother (I hope the second line isn't related to Mother!). They don't relate to each other. But they rhyme!

Mom, I hope I didn't make you cry thinking I was comparing you to an ogre. I wasn't. I just needed an "O" word whose attribute rhymes with "gay."

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Have a happy and gay day!

(Rats!)

4 comments:

Poss said...

It was from the heart. lovely, it brought tears to my eyes.

Shoe said...

ROFLMAO!

Hey! The third line refers to motherhood!

That is precious.

BobbieS53 said...

It's very sweet. You are a poet!

RetroMag said...

I love it! And I must have loved it in 1965 too or I wouldn't have preserved it! Thanks for unearthing and sharing it!