Friday, July 17, 2009

Childhood fears

I haven't worn cuffed pants since I was a kid. Dirt would collect in the cuffs and I didn't like that. When I'm shopping for pants I simply cannot try on pants with cuffs because I know that they will fill themselves with sand.

I quit eating my pancakes with syrup when I was young. I would always get syrup on the fork's handle and my hands would get sticky. I hated sticky hands. For many years I would use just butter on pancakes and waffles. I use syrup again. My fork and fingers occasionally get sticky but I just get up and rinse them off now. (Jerry makes the best pancakes!)

I was always sure that aliens were outside the house at night, hovering above the ground, looking into the house though the windows that didn't have curtains. One night I woke up and there there was a strange hum filling the room. It could only be an alien spacecraft hovering outside the room! But it turned out that I had fallen asleep with an old shortwave radio turned on and the turner had drifted off into a staticky spot. I still have weird feelings when I make a (still infrequent) nighttime trip to the bathroom. It takes a lot of effort to look out the window. I still have the feeling that a Martian will be there watching me. (Martians are perverts.)

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I used to eat fried chicken and pizza with fork, because I hated sticky hands. By the way, according to the movie Red Planet Mars, the Martians are all good Christians.

RetroMag said...

Jerry's pancakes are good enough to eat without syrup.

I've always assumed that Martians are a friendly sort.

P-Doobie said...

I won't go to sleep even now if a closet door is open.

Shoe said...

I have the same closet-must-be-closed need, p-doobie.

Shoe said...

I remember you using peanut butter on your pancakes, chuckbert.

Chuckbert said...

Pancakes without peanut butter is like a day without sunshine...we might as well just go back to bed.