Sunday, December 20, 2009

The cranberries are nestled all snug in their bowl

I just made the cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner from a recipe Karen sent in 1996.




1½ cups sugar
¾ cup water
3 whole cloves
3 whole allspice
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
1 (12 oz.) bag cranberries
Zest 1 orange

Bring sugar, water, cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan. Cook, stirring, until syrup is clear, about 3 minutes. Add cranberries and cook until they just begin to pop, about 5 minutes. (Do not overcook the cranberries; the little pop when you eat them is fun.)

Remove from heat, add orange zest and cool.  Keep in refrigerator at least 3 days before using. Makes 2 1/2 cups relish.

[I cook longer than "until they just begin to pop." You'd have a lot of uncooked berries if you stopped that soon, wouldn't you?]

The chain is going down to a steeping ball that is holding the cloves and allspice. This keeps us from having a surprising little extra crunch.

3 comments:

Shoe said...

YUM! My favorite. I need to make a double batch this year as Kevin loves it, too! I've got to get to the supermarket for my Christmas feast food shopping! I'm running out of time!

RetroMag said...

Sounds yummy! I'm glad you confined the spices. I thought the recipe should have told you to.

Shoe said...

I wanted to be sure to give credit to the LA Times, which is where I got the recipe.