Thursday, December 23, 2010

Another six months in the can

Another (a last?) set of solargraphs taken from my roof. The cans were put on the roof just after the Summer Solstice and I took them down today, a couple of days after the Winter Solstice. I couldn't do it earlier because of the rain. Besides, I get home after dark and I don't want to be scrambling around on the roof when it's dark.

I used two sheets of photo paper in a big coffee can. This time I tried something new to get the full height of the sun's progress by laying the cans on their sides. The pinholes were were aimed about 45 degrees above horizontal. This gave me a larger vertical range of the sun's travels but less horizontally than my other solargraphs.

The cans were attached to the spark screen on the chimney. One faced southeast and the other faced southwest. These pictures don't show as much detail of the roof as the earlier pictures taken with the coffee cans. I wonder why.

And none of the pictures I've taken show as much detail in the landscapes as in other solargraphs I've seen. I think the type of paper I'm using just isn't the best for this project.

Here are the pictures taken from June to December, 2010.
Looking southeast

Looking southwest
This set of pictures finally lets me see the same details in both the southeast and southwest pictures. During the gloomy part of October (where you see a wide band with few tracks of the sun) the same patterns of the sun peeking out of the clouds show up above the ash tree to the south. Next project: figuring out how to merge the two pictures to get the whole scene in one image. I don't think Photoshop has a lens correction filter for a pinhole camera especially for film that isn't flat.

The S-shaped tracks of the sun took me by surprise but that's one of the things that makes this interesting.

I think I'm finished with this phase of the project. I need to find places other than the roof to put cameras.

2 comments:

Shoe said...

Really cool project. I love these images! Nice.

RetroMag said...

You do such spectacular projects!