Sunday, August 28, 2011

Satan's Sixes Sunday

Odds and ends.

This hobby is odd. And we're getting to the end.

We get to see some of the things that have 666 somewhere on them but don't have much of a story to them.

Years and years ago, we didn't have terminals, much less computers, on our desks. We had to go to the "terminal room" to actually do something with a computer. These terminals didn't have monitors. They had paper. You typed on the keyboard and the terminal printed it on the paper. Then, as if by magic, and after only a few seconds, the terminal then would print something that the computer had come up with. In other words, the only way we had to do our work was through a command-line interface.

We were doing development for something that was running on Unix. On Unix all the processes running on the system have a process ID. Occasionally I would notice that the PID for something I was up to had a special number. I kept some printouts.

More than once I had been marked.

A Starbucks card somebody gave me as a gift marked me.

Peggy has given me several baseball cards that are numbered "666."



Thanks, Peggy! These must be worth a fortune. They are to me, at least.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me what the holey tear-off strips on old computer paper were called.

Chuckbert said...

This patent calls them "detachable longitudinal marginal strips with tractor feed holes." Is that worth a dollar?

Colleen said...

Wow! I vaguely remember reading that the DLMSWTFH had a shorter name. But now I wonder if what I remember was somebody encouraging readers to come up with a whimsical name for it.
Yeah, It's worth a dollar.

KarenK said...

Hey, Chuck,
We were having breakfast out on Saturday and I noticed the tourists at the table next to us had a box of Voodoo Doughnuts. Those clever Voodoo people -- two of their locations have phone numbers that end in 666. I thought of you. Check it out. http://voodoodoughnut.com/contact.php.

P.S. We always called the holey tear-off strips "shreddies." Same thing if you pull a piece of paper out of a spiral notebook.