Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Intuition

Our sculpture "Intuition" by Destiny Allison was delivered yesterday evening. We spent this evening installing it.

We first had to drill two holes through the garage wall. The bracket uses ½" bolts and my largest drill bit was ⅜". So I had to make the holes larger by grinding away at the sides of the holes with my ⅜" bit until they could take a half inch bolt.

One of the holes came through the edge of a board that held the paper and wires the stucco was applied to. Since the bolt was right on the edge of this board the washer and nut wouldn't have had enough board to hang onto so I had to chisel a notch in the board so that the washer would be able to reach the stucco. (No project like this ever goes without a hitch.)

Here's the mounting bracket and outlet that powered the drill.

Once the mounting bracket was in place it was easy to hang the sculpture. Here it is sharing the garage wall with a piece by Jason Mernick that Jerry gave me for Christmas several years ago.
(As always, click on a picture to get its full size version.) The sun was setting when I took this picture. I'll post more in a few days when I get some with the sun on it. I'll give you a close-up. I just had to show it off right away.

Isn't it great?

4 comments:

MrBears said...

It went up much easier than I expected. And only 3 trips to the hardware store so far. I'll make another trip tomorrow.

P-Doobie said...

Very cool! I like the sculpture a lot.

RetroMag said...

REALLY nice! I look forward to the picture with the sun shining on it. And do a close-up of the Jason Minnick piece too. It looks very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I am thrilled that you like the work and am so glad I had chance to see it in its final home. All the best,

Destiny Allison