Tuesday, October 7, 2008

False Crapture

Years ago, inspired, I think, by the Cerro Grande fire, we made a feeble stab at Crapture. We dragged stuff out from under Mom's house with the plan that we were going to get rid of stuff. We searched the piles of stuff very carefully to make sure that nothing of value would be tossed.

Nothing was tossed.

We found lots of valuable things. We found the box that my old Dennis the Menace doll came in. I would never have seen value in that piece of cardboard but it went for something like $40 on eBay.

The most valuable thing I found was the ducky planter that I got on a trip to Kansas in the early '60s.

The only thing I remember growing in the ducky was a chili pepper as part of a fourth grade project. It amazes me that the pepper grew...the ducky has little room for soil and no drainage.

I don't remember the story of who made my ducky. Was it a relative? A family friend? Where did we go to get it?

I think that we each got to get a piece from the artist. There was the money bowl. What did everybody else come home with?

2 comments:

P-Doobie said...

We were in Concordia, KS, visiting the Rileys, old friends of Gram's. I believe the ceramic person was related to them, but I'm not sure. We each got to pick out a piece, as you said, and I remember that Bobbie picked out an elaborate statue of a woman in a ruffled dress. Mom asked her to put it back. I don't recall what I got; I think maybe it was a chicken. I do remember the green change bowl with the yellow rose on top that sat for years at the end of the shelves that Dad installed on the north end of the living room.

On that same trip we had a picnic and had Kool-Aid, which was the only way we could consume the water. When it came out of the tap, it was white with liquid mineral. I remember eating green onions, which were really mild and sweet.

Our host also had an old game of nine men's morris, which we learned how to play.

Poss said...

I think that the ladies who made the ceramic were family friends, and old maids. They had a mulberry tree in the yard that we played around, and one of them played the harp. I got a dalmation.