Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Two lovely pairs of eyes

In the sixth grade we studied the countries of Central America and the Caribbean. We each were assigned one of the countries to write a report about. Part of the assignment included trying to get a pen pal from the country we were writing our report on. I was assigned Jamaica.

Our teacher, Mrs. Burchill (rhymes with Churchill), suggested that we write a letter that told a little about ourselves and send it to the postmaster in one of the cities in our country with instructions to deliver it to somebody in town. We were supposed to tell the postmaster what sort of person we wanted to communicate with. I apparently didn't write a lot about myself in the letter to the potential pen pal and the letter to the postmaster said what age the person I wanted to write to should be. I was almost twelve at the time so that's probably the age I suggested.

It seems that the postmaster delivered the letter to The Daily Gleaner, Jamaica's national newspaper. My letter was published in the "pen pals wanted" section of the newspaper. The information in the letter to the postmaster might not have been included. I think that Mrs. Burchill said it would be interesting for boys to ask for girl pen pals and girls to ask for boys. Being the obedient child, I seem to have done that. That part seems to have been printed.

A man asking to communicate with women is obviously looking for a wife. And women in Jamaica are more than eager to move to the United States. I got more than a hundred responses to my letter.

The letters were filled with lengthy biographies and stories of Jamaica's history and culture. A lot of the letters were folded in an elaborate, origamilike way. Many suggested that after we get to know each other through letters that they could travel to the U.S. to meet me. One came right out and said that she could come and be my wife.

One woman, Audrey Rose, included a picture of herself. In her letter she gave me her dimensions and said that "I have two lovely pairs of eyes a very beautiful charming smile along with beautiful teeth & dimples & am very romantic, loving, and understanding & always try to be kind." She went on to say "I have been told quite often that I am an attractive girl. I do hope you may find me to be. (smile)" She said that she didn't have a good photograph of herself and had enclosed a little funny one (smile).

Funny Audrey Rose

Her letter makes her sound like a very nice person. But she was a little too old for me (she was almost twice my age). (And she had two kids!) I hope she has had a good life since writing to me. The Office of the Registrar of Companies, Jamaica, lists "Audrey Rose Dress Shop." I wonder if it's the same Audrey Rose.

Mom wrote a letter to the Gleaner asking them to publish an explaination that I was a 12 year old kid and that their readers who might have written to me should understand that I wasn't what they were hoping for. I'll never know if that letter got printed.

Bobbie wrote to the youngest girl for a while. I think she was about Bobbie's age. Most were much older.

Here's Audrey's letter. It seems to have been rained on a bit. (I hope this isn't imposing on her privacy too much.)


Did you know that Jamaica is a leading producer of bauxite, the most important aluminum ore? Back then it might have been the leading producer.

6 comments:

Shoe said...

That's such a great story! I had often heard of your letters but never had the pleasure of reading one. Audrey's 64th birthday is just around the corner!

Thanks for sharing.

Shoe said...

Is the funny photo a real photo or is it a Pepsi ad?

Chuckbert said...

Why would Audrey send me a Pepsi ad instead of a picture of herself? Besides, it's a Coca Cola she's holding.

BobbieS53 said...

Did you save all those letter? I can't even remember the name of the person that I wrote to. Didn't several send their photos? You sure were a wanted man!

Chuckbert said...

Audrey's was the only photograph.

I saved all the letters. I should reread them sometime. I should be able to figure out which one you (Bobbers) wrote to since she was the youngest of the bunch.

Colleen said...

Just think, now Audrey is about.828 times your age! Why don't you pick a day for regular Down-Memory-Lane items?