Monday, October 20, 2008

MLM: Such a cutup!

Did you hear about the new DIY surgery supplies chain? It's called "Suture Self."

You may remember a long time ago I posted a How To that told how you can see the backside of the word "Dial" on a bar of soap. In a comment to that post, Bobbers said that she had been unable to use Ivory soap for years because she had eaten a sliver of Ivory that came from a soap carving. (She thought it was pie crust dough.) She accused Peggy of making the soap sculpture but I was the culprit. We were studying Alaska (home of that great patriot Sarah Palin) and had to make a soap sculpture of something Alaskan. I made a totem pole.

I remember that I had to sit in the other fifth grade class and work on my soap while the rest of my class was at the high school swimming pool learning how to swim. I couldn't join them because I had stitches in my arm.

I had cut my arm rather deeply when I was playing with Johnny Showalter at his house. While he was in the bathroom I decided I'd hide from him. I ducked under his bed. When he came back to his room I looked back towards the foot of the bed to see if he had figured out where I went and noticed an odd bulge on my arm. I crawled out and there was a nasty gash. It hadn't hurt and scarcely bled. I have no idea what I might have caught it on.

His father hustled me home and I was taken to the emergency room. I got twelve stitches!

Being a somewhat odd child, when it came time to get the stitches taken out I asked the doctor if I could keep them. He put them on a piece of gauze and put it in a little box. I cut a hole in the box's lid and made a window out of Saran wrap.

I still have the stitches.
As consolation (or to keep us from suing him?), Johnny's father got me one of those newfangled Super Balls (they were compressed under 50,000 pounds of pressure!). They got banned from Mountain School's playground after they went through several windows. They were a great toy.

But I'd rather have not been cut.

8 comments:

Colleen said...

So is this box something you proudly display in your living room?

P-Doobie said...

We carry the original Super Balls in the store.

RetroMag said...

Ah, those wonderful childhoodmemories!

Poss said...

ewwww

Shoe said...

You weren't the only odd child. I saved my scab from where the seatbelt "bit" me in the Great New Mexico Jeep Wreck.

I have it in a little box in my jewelry box.

ewww is right.

Chuckbert said...

Saving a scab? Now that's gross! You have me beat!

(I got to save my wisdom teeth! Neener, neener!)

And, no, the stitches aren't on display. They're shown by appointment only.

BobbieS53 said...

Yikes! Yikes! Yikes! We are odd children from an odd family! I saved my wisdom teeth, too. As a matter of fact, I saved my most recently extracted tooth, pulled in Aug) that I had 3 root canals on, EWWWWW!

BobbieS53 said...

Chuckbert...I just re-read this entry and I thought you were playing at our house and you dived under the bunk beds in the back bedroom, hit your arm on the frame and that's what caused the cut. Where the heck have I been all this time ! ? !