Sunday, January 11, 2009

Summer trip to California continues

Here is another round of pictures. My new printer/copier/scanner is much faster than the old scanner so I can whip these out much faster. (Sorry to all of you bored people out there who don't get to have these pictures trigger reminiscences. But you really shouldn't be sorry.)

We finish Knott's Berry Farm then go to The Happiest Place on Earth. Did Jack lower the happiness factor or did we have nonstop fun? We hit the beach! Then it's off to Sacramento.

The thing I remember most about Sacramento was Floyd's garage door. It was the kind that rolls up rather than a solid door that swings up. That fascinated me. I made plans in my little head to disassemble it and rearrange the pieces of the track and make it into a roller coaster (I guess the Matterhorn was still on my mind). I don't think that there was enough track to do that. And our little butts would have gotten pinched rather badly as the sections of the door moved back and forth.

Izzy was astonished that three adults and five kids could survive a road trip in a '55 Chevy. Grandma doesn't show up in pictures before or after the Claremont stop so I'm guessing that she was already there. Still, only two adults and five kids in a sedan does sound crowded. Was Candy gone?

P-Doobie is right about Jack not stopping to take pictures from the car. The last two pictures look like the car was moving...the foreground is a blur in those pictures. Life is too short to stop and stretch legs once in a while. (Please tell me that he had one of the passengers take those pictures!)

Carousel-10


When I was living in Los Angeles in 1976 I went to Disneyland many times. I was looking forward to riding in a flying saucer all by myself. In 1964 Bobbie and I were too light to ride them alone so we had to weigh one down together. Imagine my disappointment when I got there and there were no flying saucers! It was not a Happy Place that day.

3 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

It looks like we were having a blast on the flying saucers...guess I wasn't heavy enough, either.

RetroMag said...

I think Jack must have allowed the Happiness Factor to kick in. At least it appears we took in a bunch of the rides etc. at both Knott's and Disneyland.

As I recall, we did have Candy along. Of all things to remember, I seem to recall taking along some old ham for her to nibble on during the trip, and it got pretty stale. Or maybe that was a different trip.

I don't recall the seating arrangements, but I suppose there were three in the front seat and we took turns holding Karen.

Ah, them was the days!

Poss said...

Candy died on my birthday (or the day after) in 1964. She was with us in spirit.