Monday, September 7, 2009

Bling! Went the Strings of My Heart!

I was talking with Mom a bit more than a month ago. She said that she was going to Santa Fe or Albuquerque to look for some drawer knobs or handles. I had told her of my attempt at the same kind of project long ago. We wanted to replace the ordinary handles on the doors and drawers at the end of the hall that have been there since we moved into the house. We went to San Diego Hardware to try to find something nice to put there.

There were acres of knobs and handles on display. And even more in their catalogs. After a only few minutes I was overwhelmed. I was hyperventilating and had to leave.

Years went by.

After we lit up the hall with our Solatubes we could see the boring hardware much too well. It had to go. Mom's trip to the hardware store inspired me to give it another try. Jerry was only too happy to work on this project.

We headed back down to San Diego Hardware. (What, you expected us to go to the Home Depot?)

This time, I remained calm. And, in spite of the extraordinary number of choices, it didn't take us long to make a decision.

We chose some Edgar Berebi handles.

Here's the end of the hall, lit up by our Solatubes.
The handles are intricately carved. There is faint detail carved even on the back sides of the handles.
We didn't choose to mount the handles at this angle. That's where the holes are.

The drawers' handles were what got us interested in this line of hardware. We've got some salt and pepper shakers that match our L'Objet turtle napkin rings that are covered with Swarovski crystal that sparkle in even the faintest light. These drawer handles have the same treatment.
These drawer handles sparkle in even the faintest light!

While we were searching the catalog for the handles that had the right widths and same finish, we saw some switch plates and thought they were pretty. But we didn't order one.

Till a week later.

We thought about it and decided that we needed to finish the sparkly treatment of the newly lit hallway. So we went back down to San Diego Hardware, flipped through their catalog and ordered the switch plate that has the same finish as the drawer handles.

I tried and tried to get a picture of the sparkly switch plate. I tried day light. I tried at night with just the Solatube's light. But my lame camera couldn't really capture the sparkles. So I settled for a flash picture. It shows some sparkles.
I guess if you want to see their full beauty, you'll just have to schedule a visit.

5 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Very pretty...and sparkly! I will have to schedule a visit.

Colleen said...

Mr. Edgar's stuff is pretty! I have some earrings with Swarovski crystals, so I have first-hand knowlege of their sparkliness.

Poss said...

Very nice,
We got some handles for the sideboard that I am loaning Mom. Now to figure out how to get them on. We went to Home depot and were going to have to special order them, but no one to help us, so I looked them up on the web, and got them a little cheaper-about the same with postage.

RetroMag said...

VERY pretty hardware! Do you keep your socks in those drawers so you get to use them every day?

P-Doobie said...

Very elegant. I am looking for rusty ol' wrought iron for my office.