Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Good Friends

Mom has always been a Reduce, Reuse, Recycle person. When we were kids, she reused a plastic can with a perforated top. It's label had peeled off probably from having been washed before being reused. It was refilled with some scouring powder. Was it bought in bulk, further reducing waste?

Peggy made sure we knew what was in the can. On its side she wrote something like:

Bon Ami
French "good friend"
from Latin "bonus amicus"

That little bit of etymology introduced me to the notion that words aren't simply sounds that have had some sort a meaning assigned to them but rather have rich histories and meanings built right into them.

But not everybody has figured that out. Every day at work I hear people using words that pretty much sound like the words that they want to use. I know what they're saying but it bugs me that these highly educated people are just making sounds and not employing words that are full of meaning.

Some examples:
  • When someone isn't making progress he tries a different tact.
  • When something is irrelevant, it has become a mute point.
  • When a skeleton of an idea needs more substance, its details get flushed out.
I grimace each time I hear those (and I hear them a lot) but I keep my mouth shut. That last one gets to me the most. I never hear anybody use the word they really want.

I'm sure somewhere in this post I have committed my own sin. But that's OK. You know what I meant.

6 comments:

Shoe said...

Irregardless of whether you've made the error or not, you should keep us appraised so that we continue to be orientated to such errors.



word verif: enema (really!)

P-Doobie said...

Make a collection of them! When you get to 666, you can stop.

When I was at LANL, a managers who was leading a workshop repeatedly said that she had to "beg for the question" and that some points were "irrevelant."

A friend always says that "he's so happy he could squat." He misheard the world "plotz" somewhere.

P-Doobie said...

That's "manager who was leading."

BobbieS53 said...

What is the term for using words incorrectly? Like the time I asked Dad if he had watched the videos of the B-17 ball-turrent gunners I had given him. He said, "No, I can't watch those. They bring up too much sediment."

I know this is a little different than the words you are citing, but it just made me wonder.

word verif: agoniza

Colleen said...

Malapropism?

KarenK said...

I had a manager that used to say "stragety" instead of "strategy." It really made him sound stupid. You should check out this website for some annoying grammatical humor: http://www.apostropheabuse.com/.