Sunday, November 7, 2010

Circle of Life

Jerry and I went to the Wild Animal Park the San Diego Zoo Safari Park on Saturday. We got there early and snagged a primo parking spot that's about as close to the entrance as mere mortals can get.
A hybrid vehicle
We used our membership cards to get right in without waiting in line. We headed to the Journey Into Africa by way of an aviary. Someone there seemed to want Jerry to feed him (or her).
Big bird (not being fed)

On our way to the Journey into Africa we approached a circle of people all studying the walkway. One was poking at something with a stick. A little crayfish (or some relative) was standing on its tail threatening the group with its pincers. They wanted to rescue the little creature but were afraid of getting pinched.

So I grabbed it by its thorax and wondered what they wanted me to do with it.
They were just trying to get it out from underfoot. But the thing needs to be in water. It was far from any water. I suppose a bird was going to snack on it but it somehow escaped from the jaws of death.

The circle of would-be rescuers dispersed and they thanked me several times for rescuing the creature.

The Journey into Africa ride wasn't taking its first trip for forty minutes so we wandered through a part of the park with ponds. We got to a bridge that is just a foot or so above the water. This should be a good spot to toss the little crustacean. There were ducks paddling our way. I quickly gave the little lobster a toss to give it a head start.

I didn't count on the catfish.
Hungry (cat?)fish
I think the little crawdad became a snack after all.

We saw some other animals eating (but not other animals).
Rhinoceros eating (and baby)
Porcupines eating

Poor little crawdad.

3 comments:

Poss said...

I reached into to something in my backyard in Belen a got grabbed by one of those. since I was so far from water I figured a bird dropped it.
At least yours ahad a few minutes reprieve.
Nice rhinos

Colleen said...

So did the San Diego Zoo take over the park? WHy did they change their name? That means new stationery, new embroidery on uniforms and souvnir caps.
That crawdad's Fate was sealed. There's no avoiding the finger of Fate.

RetroMag said...

Even baby rhinos are cute.

Poor little crawdad. Just another link in the food chain, I suppose.