Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The rest of Saturday and a bit of Sunday

After the clouds moved back in at the end of my Desert View video I packed up and drove back to the village by way of the many view points. I took some pictures along the way but that was it for the time-lapse videos for the day. I was tired of filming thick clouds.

I went back to Yavapai Point where I had recorded the rain and clearing clouds to watch the sunset.
Sunset, October 23, 2010
Yavapai Point, Grand Canyon
Three minutes after I took the sunset picture I got one of the full moon rising. The clouds reached almost to the horizon to the east but there was a slit where we could see a very narrow slice of the moon rising.
Moonrise
I went back to the campground where I heated up my water for coffee on my little Sterno stove. It takes a very long time to heat water over Sterno. I had warm, but not hot, coffee. Heating my bowl of Madras Lentils was much more successful. It didn't have to reach a state change so it didn't take as much energy.

While my supper was heating I enjoyed listening to the quiet breeze in the dark. There were thick clouds so I didn't get to see stars. There was the full moon that weekend so I wouldn't have gotten to experience the dark, dark sky that I would like to have seen. And it was rather cold.

So I spent much of the rest of the evening keeping warm in the tent. I didn't have a lot of quality sleep the night before so I spent most of the evening in the sleeping bag with my eyes closed listening to the goings on in the neighborhood.

There was a noisy party at one of the nearby campsites. Quiet time in the campground is supposed to start at 10:00pm and I thought that they were going to break that rule. But it broke up just in time.

I slept well Saturday night. I let the pad inflate fully so I didn't bottom out this time. After the party broke up it was quiet for the rest of the night. The sleeping bag was warm.

The party people broke other rules. When I got up on Sunday morning there were a lot of ravens helping themselves to the food that the noisy folk couldn't be bothered to put away the night before. While I was eating my bagel and peanut butter a raven or two perched in a tree over me eying my bagel. I pointed out the easy pickings in the party people's camp. By the way, Sterno isn't the best way to toast a bagel. It gives it a Sterno-y flavor.

I headed out for one more day at the Grand Canyon...

4 comments:

Shoe said...

Beautiful sunset shot!

P-Doobie said...

Gorgeous images! Thanks, Chuckbert.

Colleen said...

What graet night photos! The first one looks like a painting. (In a good way.)

RetroMag said...

Beautifulj pictures! How nice to see a lovely sunset and moon rise in the same evening.