Monday, May 19, 2008

Budding cinematographer and actors

Thanks to Colleen you're getting this post. Colleen remembered that we made a little film way back in high school. That's the early 1970s, you know. I dug into my boxes of memories and there was the reel of film! But no projector.

Weeks ago I asked a friend if he had a projector. He said that his father's 8mm projector was in the rafters of his garage and he would haul it down next time he was up there. Being a bit older we both put this out of our minds at the critical times. Finally, one day I remembered while talking with him and he wrote himself a note. Yesterday he brought it in to work.

The projector hadn't used it in many years. The rubber drive belt had stretched so it no longer drove the works. I replaced it with a rubber band. Amazingly, that worked! I didn't have a screen so I projected the film on the door to the garage. That's the only white vertical surface in the house. (Jerry has a knack for color so none of the walls is white.)

The original images are rather washed out or dark so having it professionally transferred to digital wouldn't have improved it much. The crappy quality kind of gives it a special charm. Good luck making out the action in some spots.

The film stars Karen S., Colleen B., Don M., Poss, and me. There's a cameo from Chris and I think Karen E.

We filmed all the scenes in reverse. Because the film has to be played backward we had to film the scenes with the camera upside down. That way the sprocket holes are on the correct side when the film is loaded backwards. Our little vignettes end up undoing things. It's cute. I hope you like it. (If you don't you only have Colleen to blame! Well, if you like it you have Colleen to thank.)



There's a new poll for this video. Vote!

The Broadway's Best channel is playing in the background. "Climb ev'ry mountain!"

Ray is going to lend me a screen and a splicing kit. The film is in three pieces and I didn't want to reshoot it unless I can do it in one take. It's a pain threading the film and if spliced we'll get to see more of the frames! We'll see if I get around to reworking this epic.



Results of the poll:
And the Oscar goes to...






NomineeVotes
Colleen

Chuckie1
Don2
Karen

Poss5

7 comments:

Shoe said...

Wow. Groovy. I must say I love your look, Chuck. Very hip. Those sideburns are to die for!

Poss, you look exactly the same!

I saw my lower torso and legs!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Colleen said...

This film is definitely worth any amount of technical tinkering to improve the images.

Poss said...

Have to agree with Colleen, it needs to be tweeked.
Dang we were good looking ner do well youth.

RetroMag said...

Such talent! You should all have pursued careers in the film industry! Hollywood has suffered a great loss because you didn't.

BobbieS53 said...

The was too funny. I like the look in Poss' eye near the end of the banana, but that was kind of gross! The Kris gate opening was very funny. I liked the whole thing. You guys had such imagination!

P-Doobie said...

Three thumbs up!

Poss said...

You Love me! You really Love me!
I'd like to thank my family, the director and of course, the cinematographer for making me what I am today.