Sunday, May 4, 2008

Since Mom insists...

Mom doesn't get tired of my flowering yard so here are some more pictures of what's going on today.

Some time ago we were wandering through the San Diego Wild Animal Park where there was a tall, spindly plant with spectacular flowers that look like sunny side up eggs. Somehow we managed to find out what they are and we got a couple of them at a local nursery. It was a Matilija poppy. These plants don't transplant well and one of them promptly died. The other has thrived. And spread. The flowers have a very nice fragrance. The front yard is being overtaken by these plants and I am very happy it is.


The bottlebrushes are in bloom. That makes the hummingbirds and orioles happy. Anything that makes the birds happy makes me happy. The flowers drop their red stamens and the ground gets carpeted in knee deep pink.

The Sapphire Dragon Tree is blooming. It's supposed to be a good tree for tight spots. Its roots don't tear up their surroundings. It's between the house and the yard holding the annoying neighbor's constantly barking dog.

The Pork and Beans Sedum that I planted in the mailbox's pot are blooming. I had to replant them last year because the mailbox used to be on a redwood post. The post rotted and the mailbox tilted precariously. It's now on a metal post anchored in concrete. I filled the pot with new potting soil and put some of the plants back and they filled it in.

The pitiful red hot poker is making what I think is its last stab at beauty. It gets smaller and smaller each year. It probably wants to be somewhere other than the spring flowering bulb area. It doesn't get a lot of attention. It apparently wants a lot of water in the summer when it gets none at all.

That's what my yard tour gave me today. Well, there are roses but we've all seen a lot of roses.

4 comments:

Shoe said...

Thanks again for sharing your garden! Those matilijas are stunning!

The bees love the bottlebrush, too!

Love your pix!

BobbieS53 said...

I love looking at your flower pictures, too. I was out today trimming my one rose bush and feeding it. I hope it makes a return. I neglected it last year. I also have a climbing rose by the back fence that I fertilized. It grew a lot last year and so far, no buds. I fed my trumpet honeysuckle rose food, too which has a systemic bug killer in it because the hummers love it and so do the aphids. I hate aphids!

Poss said...

My trumpet vine and grape are starting to put out leaves. I planted a new blaze rose that seems to be be taking hold, and the cherry tree is making a comeback after the freeze. It is still cold here.

Beautiful flowers. We need to come out and see them up close and personal!

RetroMag said...

I don't know how you can have so many pretty flowers and trees in your yard. And such a variety! They are all so beautiful! I'm sure glad you abide by my wishes and keep showing us your flowers.