Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fiscal Duplicity

A recent post has a comment accusing me of duplicitousness because I said that some of my BEA money went to paying off the loan we took to pay for our kitchen and bathroom remodel and that wasn't one of the choices in my poll of what to do with the money.

Well, here I go again.

In the poll about what to do with the dough, MrBears gave a write-in vote. His ideas are always fiscally sound. We acted on his suggestion.

Yesterday, as part of my birthday weekend, Jerry took us to Palm Desert for a shopping excursion on El Paseo ("the Rodeo Drive of the desert").

We started the trip by having breakfast at IHOP in Escondido. We take the route through the San Jacinto mountains. I recorded the trip with my trusty GPS device! Here's an image from Google Earth of our route.
For you Google Earth users here is a file to click on that will load the route and let you relive it in many fun ways. (I am so confused...on one system a line shows the route at all magnifications. On another of my computers the line appears only when zoomed in. It should always be there. I hope you get to see it. The image above is from the system that shows the line.)

On the way through the mountains we saw this mountain:
This was Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of summer!, in Southern California. Snow?!? I didn't think the elevation was that high (but I guess it was).

Just before getting to Palm Desert we have to leave the San Jacinto mountains and drop several thousand feet into the Coachella Valley. This involves a switchbacked road.
For you Google Earth junkies who don't get motion sickness from watching animated views of mountain travel, here is another file that has the part of the trip highlighted above for you to tour.

Two hours (to the minute according to the GPS log) after we left IHOP we parked the truck in Palm Desert and started our shopping.

We browsed in many of the art galleries. We passed up many whose displays in their windows gave us the impression that their tastes and ours don't intersect. We had lunch at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza (just like we did when Colleen visited us).

We looked through a few more galleries then went back to the Eleonore Austerer Gallery, the first gallery we had visited.

We bought a piece by Eric C. Johnson, an artist from nearby La Quinta. The artist's exhibit is still on the gallery's web site. It includes our piece.

Here it is hanging in the living room.
Branching Out

It's made of aluminum, paper and acrylic. It's 58" tall. It's heavy and took a lot of wrestling to get it in the back seat of Jerry's pickup. We didn't want to leave it in the bed of the pickup in case the rain started up again. The black part is the paper pulp rolled onto wood. The tree is painted on aluminum. It's all mounted on a large slab of aluminum.

Here's a closeup on the tree.

I think that this is a wise use of the windfall. Don't you?

5 comments:

MrBears said...

I now have Google Earth loaded so I can see where I was driving. And you can see the snow better in the picture than it was when we were there. It was fun spending your money on art. Too bad I wasn't able to vote on how to spend it, but art wasn't an option anyway.

BobbieS53 said...

You always make wise choices when it comes to art. It's unusual and I would like it in my house!

Poss said...

where is the final vote recorded??

Nice art and a beautiful bathroom, now paid off.

RetroMag said...

Very interesting piece of art! What kind of tree do you think it is? Or maybe you actually know what kind it is. Anyhow, I now withdraw my vote for investment. Having a nice piece of art seems much more rewarding.

P-Doobie said...

You can never go wrong with art when the local currency collapses.