Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Fun while naked

You know how whenever you start a new bar of Dial soap you always ask yourself "What would the 'Dial' look like from the inside of the bar?" For a while you think that maybe you can just hold the soap in front of a mirror but then you realize that you're still looking at the outside of the soap and it's just reversed. For the next few days at work you can't concentrate on your job and you don't contribute in your meetings. You're written up on your permanent record.

To help you keep your job and to let you finally know what the backside of the word "Dial" looks like I now present the Back of Dial:

Years ago I actually wondered if it is possible to wear down a bar of soap until the words on the top show through the back. I developed a process for using the back side of the soap and trying not to use to top. That is, I rub the back of the bar on me or my washcloth and try not to wear down the "Dial" side (but Dial will wash away). When this first bar gets to be somewhat thin I set its back side on a new bar of soap covering the word Dial. I continue washing the same way so that the new bar of soap is what wears down. If you had enough of the first bar of soap glued to the second one you can end up wearing though the second bar so that the incised "Dial" breaks through.

After my first success with this process I went on to my next quest. That was to get a bar of soap to say "Dial" on one side and "Dial" backwards on the other. This involves at least three bars of soap. The first one just to get one to glue to the second. You wash with bars one and two for a while but don't let Dial appear on the back. When the two bars are getting kind of thin you paste them onto a third bar. Now you wash it down till the Dial appears on the back of the third bar. If you're lucky the first bar will last nearly to this point and will wash away from the Dial of the second bar at the same time the back of number three is showing.

This is what the front that Holy Grail of Dial soap looks like:

I hadn't tried to do this for a long time ("been there, done that," you know) so imagine my surprise when I finished my shower this morning and discovered my accomplishment!

You, too, can do this. But only if you practice, practice, practice.

By the way, this is what a new bar of Dial soap looks like:

Keep clean.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, am I ever glad I don't use Dial soap! I'm afraid I wouldn't live long enough to perfect the process. And PLEASE don't tell me I could do the same thing with Dove. It's curved on the back, and I'm afraid that would further complicate things!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I think.

Anonymous said...

W00t! W00t! Way to go, Chuckbert!

--Peggers

Anonymous said...

I forgot my google username, so I'm posting now that I have it. I have nothing further to say right now, except to extend my congratulations on your Dial achievement.

Colleen said...

I think you are in danger of getting wrinkled as a prune.

Colleen said...

Actually, this would be worth posting in wikihow.com

BobbieS53 said...

I've sort of done the same thing with IVORY soap. You know, I could NOT use IVORY soap since the time that Peggers was doing soap sculptures from IVORY around the same time that Mom was making a pie...I think I was about 13... I went into the kitchen and found a piece of (what I thought was) pie dough, popped it merrily into my mouth, noshing away when, to my sad dismay, I found it to be a piece of Peg's soap sculpture debris. YIKES! Recently I found that IVORY makes a Lavender smelling bar, so I switched to that. I always stick the used bar to a new bar and when the old bar wear away, the IVORY show through intact. I shall try this new adventure of using only the back side and see if I can get the same results...

Chuckbert said...

Bobbers, are you sure it was Peggers doing the soap sculptures? I remember that we had a soap carving project in the fifth grade and I made a totem pole from one of those double bars of Ivory. (I don't think they make those anymore. They were scored between the bars for easy(?) separation. I wonder how much packaging that saved.) I remember it was the fifth grade because I missed some of the class's swimming sessions because I had just cut my arm that needed all those stitches. I had to spend the swimming period in another fifth grade classroom with my totem pole. That would have been around the time you were 12.

BobbieS53 said...

Well...I am getting older so my memories of things are a little convoluted at times. Yes...I guess it could have been you! So thanks a lot! I ate some of YOUR soap shavings and it made me HATE Ivory soap (I couldn't even stand the smell) until last year when I found the lavender scented bars. Gosh, isn't remembering all this stuff fun?