Friday, February 6, 2009

And what's more, baby, I can cook!

Every Friday, Jerry and I have scrambled eggs for supper. We usually have toast and sausage patties with them. We've been using the double boiler method from Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food" for cooking the eggs for a long time. I was using a stainless steel mixing bowl on a sauce pan. When the eggs were cooked they'd leave a very tough coat of dried eggs on the bowl. It would always take a lot of effort to clean the bowl. And a lot of the eggs went to waste!

What I needed was a non-stick bowl.

One day we were at the kitchen shop in our local mall that was holding a quitting business sale. One of the things they had was a Nordic Ware nonstick double boiler insert! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
Now we get to eat all of our eggs and cleanup is easy!

One Friday after a tough day at work I was not looking forward to cooking our eggs. I was beat. Somehow Jerry must have known because he was all set to fix the eggs, breakfast patties and toast. He had recently gotten a bunch of herbs and spices from Penzeys Spices and was going to try something new. He added some Fox Point Seasoning to the eggs. I was in heaven! Not only did I not have to cook but I got to eat a delicious new dish.

I try to remember to add Fox Point when I cook the eggs. I remembered tonight. Here they are:
This is:
  • Six eggs
  • 4 tbs. half and half
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. Fox Point
Remember, if the eggs look done in the pan, they'll be over-done on the plate. They were about right when I stopped to take the picture and they got a bit more done looking by the time I got them on the plate. Oops!

Jerry cooked us some potatoes and onions. Mmmmmm!

The eggs were cooked on our new Fagor portable induction burner. Induction cooking is supposed to be the most energy efficient way to cook. Almost all of the energy it uses goes into heat in the pan. Gas and electric stoves heat the air and that heats the pan and a lot of the heat just misses the pan. So maybe we're using a little less energy now. In any case we have a new gadget!

7 comments:

RetroMag said...

Those eggs look mighty yummy. And no extensive cleanup! No kitchen should be without one.

MrBears said...

And Thanks to Bobbie who gave me a Penzeys Spices gift basket that included Fox Point. I originally started using it on pasta, but have found it to be good in a lot of dishes. I also found out it's best kept in the refrigerator so it doesn't cake up.

BobbieS53 said...

Yum! I'm headed to Penzey's right now!

Poss said...

Well, I did my eggs today at the Frontier Restaurant, wrapped in a fresh tortilla with great green chile and cheese. And I got to eat with Kevin and Randy and their friend. What luck to run into good friends/former co-workers on Sunday.

I have loved Penzeys since Bill's father ran the place.

Poss said...

So how does the induction cooktop work? what generates the heat? Is that a plug?

Chuckbert said...

Electromagnetism generates the heat on an induction cooktop. It's magic. Here's a page that explains it all to you.

Anonymous said...

The eggs and potatoes sound so good right now, and they looked even better. The potatoes match your lovely counter! :o)
I just emailed my sis in San Jose to see if she can get any of the Fox Point for me in Menlo Park!
It's less expensive than ordering from Calgary, AB!

Cindy H
Hard Brown Sugar?