Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You crack me up!

I shouldn't read the New York Times' food articles. I don't look for them but when they show up in the list of most popular stories, I just have to check them out. This time it was Parmesan Cream Crackers. I made them tonight and they are tasty.

I should have rolled them out thinner and baked them longer. They're a bit soft. But that's not going to stop us from eating them. Once again we have a rich snack.

I need to learn how to roll the dough into a nice rectangle. I guess I could have rolled it out and cut the irregular edges off and rolled out the edge pieces again. (The article says that additional working of the dough makes them flakier.)

My first batch of crackers:
I should have scored them into smaller crackers. But then I would just eat a larger number of them.

An advantage to making these crackers with the Parmigiano-Reggiano we get at Costco is that I can cut off chunks and scarf them down while preparing the crackers. I can eat that stuff all day and not get tired of it.

Parmesan Cream Crackers

Time: About 20 minutes

1 cup all-purpose flour, more as needed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half, more as needed
Coarse salt, pepper, sesame or poppy seeds, minced garlic or whatever you like for sprinkling (optional)

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly dust with flour. Put flour, salt, cheese and butter in bowl of a food processor. Pulse until flour and butter are combined. Add about 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half and let machine run for a bit; continue to add liquid a teaspoon at a time, until mixture holds together but is not sticky.

2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/2-inch thick or even thinner, adding flour as needed. Transfer sheet of dough to prepared baking sheet (drape it over rolling pin to make it easier). Score lightly with a sharp knife, pizza cutter or a pastry wheel if you want to break crackers into squares or rectangles later on. Sprinkle with salt or other topping if you like.

3. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack; serve warm or at room temperature or store in a tin for a few days.

Yield: About 4 servings.


I'm not sure how thin they meant to say to roll out the dough. Half of an inch is definitely not right. Mine were about 1/8 inch and they were still too thick.

6 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Mmmm. You always have the best cooking ideas. I am so boring. I should watch the Food Channel and get new ideas!

RetroMag said...

Certainly not your regulation saltines! You're right--1/2 inch crackers aren't crackers--they would be some kind of bread. But tasty anyhow, I'll bet.

P-Doobie said...

I love the taste of pecorino romano cheese. I will try the recipe with it and get back to you.

saterack, word verification, which is fun to say

Poss said...

We all love both cheeses. I think of the romano as salt lick. We may try this recipe this weekend.

Shoe said...

I bet they meant 1/12 of an inch thick. But then at that thickness, maybe it should be "roll out very thin."

Those sound yummy.

Poss said...

I think that I rolled them about 1/8th of an inch thick-perfect. I wadded up the last hunk of dough and it was about 1/4 inch think. Lovely and flakey!