Sunday, February 8, 2009

Crack and cheese

Recently, one of the items in the list of the most-E-Mailed stories from the New York Times caught my eye. It was their food blogger's quest for the best macaroni and cheese recipe. The one she settled on as the best is Martha Stewart's "Perfect Macaroni and Cheese."

Last night was nobody's birthday but we decided that we'd try it out.

It's the cheesiest! It has about 12 ounces of cheeses. (We halved the recipe.) According to the NY Times blogger, this stuff is nicknamed "Martha's crack-and-cheese" because it is so addictive.

The Crack-and-Cheese fresh from the oven:

And on our plates:
You'll notice we had some wine with supper. Because of this, after supper I took a nap from about 7:00 till I went to bed around 11:00. Then I slept through the night. It doesn't take much wine to put me out.

Jerry said the mac-n-cheese is "rich." He says that when people want just a sliver of a cheesecake because it is so rich he has no trouble eating a large helping. So you know this mac-n-cheese is rich.

But it's not going to be part of our birthday celebrations. We'll stick with our traditional mac-n-cheese recipes. In the meantime, we'll have to try some of the runners-up in the mac-n-cheese quest.

Speaking of Martha Stewart, she sure does live a charmed life. In a recent posting on The Martha Blog, she told us how convenient it was that she "happened to be in the Tampa area" for a book signing one Saturday and the Super Bowl was played there the next day. "Gee, since we're in the area, why don't we just drop in and watch the game?" So she watched the game from the 50-yard line right behind the Steelers. Too bad they put up some sort of screens around the half-time show so she didn't get to see Bruce Springsteen. But she tells us that he sounded good.

I never have such good luck.

8 comments:

RetroMag said...

Martha's mac'n'cheese looks scrumptious. But yours is plenty O.K. too. Is is going to be amybody's birthday when we get out there?

BobbieS53 said...

Mmmmm. I'm going to have to try that recipe. I love Mac-N-Cheese! How come I hadn't heard Mom-bert is going to Escondido? Where have I been?!?

Shoe said...

Ooooh....cheezy!

When are you going? I didn't know either!

Poss said...

I believe that we will be there for April Fools Day and it sounds like we would be fools not to have it then!

Colleen said...

Chuck, I showed this post to an office mate, and he said that Martha S's is not the absolute best. The best was that served at the Oxford Spa (on Oxford St. in Cambridge,MA) when he and his partner owned it. (They sold it last year.) So he's going to get the recipe from his partner, and then we'll see. (By the way, my word verification is "forks," which is strange.)

Poss said...

I always liked Mom's Mac and cheese. It may not have been baked, but it sure was (is) yummy!

and my verification is tarryp.
hmmmm

Poss said...

and don't forget the white pepper from Penzeys. Nice bite and so white

Anonymous said...

BOBBIE S53...I know you.
And I know TARRYP , too.
And if it hadn't been for the GREYHOUNDS, I would never have known until someone else did the movie.
But as luck would have it, not only do I know you, I am related to many in " PENN VALLEY".
And wouldn't you know it, it's far too late to call off the movie...." KANSAS KINGS".