Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Share the road (dammit!)

Rat and I sometimes have similar feelings. Today is one of those days.


One day I was looking at the local traffic map and I clicked on one of the diamonds that indicate traffic problems. Here are the details of the incident:

Traffic Hazard - Harmony Grove Rd at Country Club Dr10:41 AM
* Riding East in the Roadway10:41 AM
* 4 Bicyclists in the Roadway10:41 AM
* They Are not Riding in Single File, Taking Up the Roadway10:42 AM
* Reporting Party States Nearly Hit One of the Bikes10:42 AM
* 19 ; Public Affairs Coordinator Highway On Ramp to South 510:43 AM
* CHP Unit Enroute11:02 AM
* Thomas Guide Map Coordinates: Page 1129, Grid 5D

I've never thought to sic the Highway Patrol on packs of bikes that are leisurely riding down the highway five abreast. But I do wonder what they're thinking.

I say that sharing the road is a two-way street. Bikes really ought to share the road with the big, fast, heavy, damage inflicting cars. There are usually bike lanes for them (that are sometimes cleared of rocks and other hazards).

2 comments:

Poss said...

I will need to share this with my former student, a serious bike rider.

Colleen said...

We have problems with bikers who ignore stop signs. I've almost been run down by bikers while I was crossing the street. But I do have to admire their bravery for riding in Boston traffic.