Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Escondido Chainsaw Massacre

Here's a quick follow-up to the pine tree removal story.

My friend Ray lent me his 16" electric chainsaw. (Ray contributes to this blog in many ways. He lent me his projector and screen that let me record the movie that features Poss and the banana. Thanks, Ray!) Yesterday after work I took the chainsaw to the pine tree's trunk. In just a short time we no longer had a tree trunk stretching across the back yard. We had this instead:

This is the view of the back of the house that you can compare to the "before" and "during" pictures in the earlier post.

I will have to work on putting the branches out for the yard waste recycle pickup. The pieces of the trunk might be too large to put out for our curbside recycling so we might have to haul it to the transfer station and pay to have it recycled. We'll see.

I didn't cut my hand off. The only injury I got was when I walked under the trunk and smashed into the low-hanging branch with my shoulder. It's got a pretty, long bruise.

I saved a slice of the trunk from near its base. The top of the trunk is the top of the picture. It looks like the wood kind of hung loosely around the trunk as it formed and sagged...more grew on the bottom side of the trunk than the top. Interesting.


And to reward you for reading this far, here's a picture of a potted cactus that is blooming. Cactuses are so pretty.

4 comments:

Shoe said...

I count 24 years. Am I right?

Pretty cactus blossoms!

RetroMag said...

I'm glad you limited the chainsawing to the tree and not to your arm or leg. What are you going to make out of the chunbk you saved?

The cactus is beautiful!

BobbieS53 said...

Watch out for low hanging branches! (I learned that from riding horses!)

P-Doobie said...

You should use an interesting slice of the trunk as a base for some of your small sculpture pieces.