Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Turtle Tchotchke Tuesday

Starting today is a regular posting of pictures of our turtle tchotchkes.

What better place to start than the beginning? That would be my own creations.

Here is a sculpture of three turtles I made when I was in Mountain School. The bottom shows I was in classroom A-4. Lordy, I'm pretty sure that would have been 5th grade. I didn't exhibit any artistic talent. I was thinking A-wing was where the first three grades were and it would have been a second grade project. I'm starting to feel embarrassed by this.




And here is another elementary school art project. The big turtle simply identifies it as being made by "C. E." and has no classroom so I don't have any idea when I made these.

(Things will be better now that we've gotten these treasures out of the way.)

You have to admire the teachers who take on the young. They must get great satisfaction when a student of theirs goes on to be a great in their field. But they mostly have to endure the utterly hopelessly untalented masses.

4 comments:

P-Doobie said...

I think your intuitive abilities in form and color in your early efforts presaged a sense of your refined aesthetic capacities and tastes as a mature adult.

Shoe said...

It's not no-talent at all! It is talent in the making! I'd like to see Picasso's second grade work (wait...that might look a lot like his cubist works, actually).

Still, you get the picture....art, music, writing: no one puts out his masterpiece in the second grade.

Thanks for sharking.

Colleen said...

I had no idea your turtle jones went back so far. The color scheme on number 3 is great!

Chuckbert said...

I don't think that these pieces of turtle art really have anything to do with our turtle collecting.

I think that turtles appealed to me in art class because they were simple. A flattened circle of clay with four blobs for legs, a blob for a head and a little bloblet for a tail. Apparently I hadn't examined a turtle very closely because their scales turned into simple crosshatching. They were simple forms.

The beginnings of our current collection will be in a future issue.