Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Turtle Tchotchke Tuesday

The Real Beginning

Way back in the summer of 1986 when Jerry and I were just starting out together we would often be a little indecisive about what to do. Once we finally came up with something we'd be slow in getting going. Jerry would say "We're off! Like a herd of turtles!" The image of a herd of turtles was vivid and appropriate.

That summer I took one of my Santa Fe Opera trips and left Jerry behind. I needed to get him a present to make up for leaving him alone for a week. I got him a herd of turtles.

The herd was in three parts. The first part was touristy turtle souvenirs. These are little Oaxacan clay whistles. Jerry called them "blow-in-the-butt turtles."

The next turtles in the herd were colorful little Jemez pieces.

And I had to get him a real piece of art. I got him this turtle made by Kathy "Wan Povi" Sanchez, Maria's great-granddaughter.

Since then the herd has grown.

9 comments:

P-Doobie said...

"Look at that bunch of turtles!"
"Not 'bunch.' 'Herd.'"
"Heard of what?"
"Herd of turtles."
"Sure, I've heard of turtles."
"No, no, no! A turtle herd!"
"What do I care what a turtle heard? I have no secrets from a turtle."

What a cool start on your collection, guys!

Colleen said...

The conversion above and its resulting tragic confusion could have been avoided by using the proper collective noun: a bale of turtles. Remember: google before gabbing!

Colleen said...

And the typo above could have been prevented by proofreading.

Chuckbert said...

We must remember that the phrase "herd of turtles" has been around since at least 1986 and that was long before we could use Google to discover the proper collective noun. Besides, herd of turtles has a much better sound to it.

RetroMag said...

A very nice drove of turtles. The Jemez ones look very happy to belong to JerBear.

Shoe said...

Purty turtles!

Poss said...

I am glad that the Oaxancan butt blowers got a great home.

BobbieS53 said...

I've always wondered about that "herd of turtles" saying. I'm glad to finally know where it came from! Your turtles are...well..in a herd!

MrBears said...

And we have more blow in the butt turtles thanks to Poss.
Imagine my panic when some water splashed on one of the Jemez turtles. Thankfully I've learned to blot and no damage occured. I'd have left a comment earlier, but I was off herding turtles or was I herding a hose around the turtle hose guards.