Monday, September 29, 2008

Orange you glad you've got a BlendTec blender?

A couple of days ago I was gloating over my good fortune to have neighbors who have more oranges than they can use. In one of my comments I said that we'd probably try using the Whole Juice setting of the BlendTec Blender to see if juice made by the blender would be any good.

It wasn't.

We threw in the peeled oranges and blended away. What came out was a thick, frothy, slightly bitter juice. I'm sure it was more nutritious than juice that doesn't include all of the orange (minus the rind). But it was bitter from all the pith from the rind that stuck to the segments.

Anybody out there who is lucky enough to have a BlendTec Blender should not waste any oranges this way.

I'm one who tries not to waste good food so I put the leftover juice in the refrigerator to have with my breakfast this morning. I didn't have juice, I had a chilled orange souffle. All the pectin in the membranes did its job and turned the juice into a semisolid.



The rest of the oranges will be juiced in the traditional manner.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

So why don't you make orange sherbet with lots o' sugar.

RetroMag said...

Well, it was a good try.

Chuckbert said...

Everything turned out all right. I ate the stuff from the pictured glass and Jerry made us smoothies out of the stuff from the other.

Nothing went to waste.

(We should still try the sherbet idea. But I think I'll use the traditional juicing technique.)