Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Love You!*

One day back in High School I opened my locker to find an envelope that held a handmade Valentine from a formerly secret admirer. It was signed "Love*, Jane" (not her real name) and at the bottom of the card was "*It's true!" This took me by surprise as I had no idea that Jane had any feelings like that for me and I didn't have them for her (and as far as I could tell I never even remotely sent signals that I did). Acting in a mature, high schooler's way, I passed it around my little circle of friends and we all had a good laugh.

I kind of feel bad now but I had no idea how I should have handled it. But I think things probably worked OK. From what I understand, Jane and I have maintained some of the world's parity in that department.

I didn't keep Jane's card. But its memory lived on.

In the box of treasures from my past I found a letter from Karen S. that she sent to me after a Spring Break trip home from college. She apparently had brought along two of her friends and there were some enclosures from them. I seem to have spent time with them but I have no recollection of what might have happened during that Spring Break. It sounds like we must have had a lot of fun together.

Karen's letter started out saying "You're in a heap o' trouble, boy!" It seemed that both Jan and Joyce (the friends) had fallen madly in love with me and wanted to marry me and adopt Donald.

Jan allegedly said "I love him more than the expanse of the sea!" and Joyce said "Well, I loved him from afar before we ever met." They then spent all their time fighting over me and even drew straws to see who was going to get me (Jan lost).

Here are their testimonials to their love.


Jan's Valentine
(back)

Joyce's Valentine
(back)


Later I got another letter containing:
Jan's desperate attempt to win my heart.


Karen's letter had this to say about their trip back to Luther College in Iowa:

We had bunches of fun wearing our eyeballs at the people in Nebraska. (Especially in Omaha.) We made a sign that said "Hubba Hubba", too. Old ladies did not like it. You definitely had a nasty influence on these people. (Thank goodness—Jan used to be very boring. Now she is only semi-boring.)


I guess "Hubba, hubba!" was something exotic for Jan and Joyce. I have no idea what eyeballs they wore.

The letter finished off with:

P.S. Please try not to break their hearts too miserably.

P.P.S. Jan said you could move to India and marry both of them. (How romantic.)


Well, Jan and Joyce, I hope your broken hearts have mended by now. It would never have worked out. You see, how can I say this?, I'm (oh, just be blunt!) not Lutheran.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I can't believe you kept some of that old stuff. I'll have to dig through my chest of old letters and see what I can find of yours! I just sent a link to your blog post to Joyce and we'll see if she remembers all that silliness. (I will have to send it to Jan as well -- I just have to dig up her latest email address. Yes, I still keep in touch with those lovely, heartsick ladies.)

P.S. The eyeballs were those gag eyeballs that leap out on springs from fake spectacles. Joyce also wore them in our dorm's photo for the Luther College yearbook. (Joyce continues to be the un-boring one.)

RetroMag said...

What lovely memories! And then there was the pen pal in (Jamaica?)!

BobbieS53 said...

I think to pen-pal(s) was Haiti. Mostly letters from women wanting to come to the US the fastest (married) way they could. I wrote to one of the women that answered your ad for a pen-pal for a while.

Chuckbert said...

I hope you're not in a heap o' trouble with Jan, Karen. It's good to know that you keep in touch with these nice people.

And the pen pal thing was with Jamaicans. I didn't get married to any of those women, either.

P-Doobie said...

I can't believe you didn't want to marry the Jamaican temptress who said she had "two pairs of beautiful brown eyes."