Sunday, April 27, 2008

More backyard birds

Today, our backyard had another visitor. This time it was some kind of hawk. It was sitting on the fence that the neighbors made taller around their old chicken coop and was studying the ground by our shed.

There was some activity in the grass at the bottom of the fence now and then and the hawk flew down into the grass once. It was unsuccessful in its attack and went back to its perch on the fence. There was a family of squirrels romping around the other side of the shed all this time.

I am guessing some of the family was playing near the fence. At one point one of the squirrels asserted its right to the territory.
I'm guessing this was a mama or papa squirrel protecting its babies.

Later, a crow joined the hawk on the fence. I was about to take a group shot but just then the hawk tired of the crow and chased it off.
The hawk went back to its place and watched the squirrels for a while longer. It eventually left empty taloned.

I hope it's more successful next time.

6 comments:

Poss said...

Very cool, I am amazed at the squirrel's fearsome defense of its family or whatever. Foolhardy.

Colleen said...

Perhaps you collect roadkill, etc. and make a hawk-crow feeder.

Shoe said...

I'm pretty sure is is a Red-shouldered Hawk. What a great visitor!

Nice pictures, Chuck!

BobbieS53 said...

I love watching hawks! That one is amazing...I'm surprised it didn't go after the squirrel. I have a couple of bird feeders in the back and sometimes hawks come in and take birds. I've never seen one snatch a bird, but I seen the feathers left over.

RetroMag said...

You certainly have an interesting yard!

P-Doobie said...

Michele is good at spotting raptors when we travel. I wish we had them in our yard--but then I'd worry about our cats.