Saturday, November 15, 2008

Harvest Time

It is autumn and that means pomegranates are getting ripe. Today was pomegranate harvest and canning. Here's the bush before the harvest.

Too bad it didn't perform as well as it did last year. This is the entire harvest.

And here is what was inside the fruits.
The pomegranate is a "Utah Sweet." This type has very sweet, light pinkish pulp and nonstaining pink juice.

I made pomegranate jelly. First I had to get the juice out of the seeds. I fed them through the food strainer attachment of the KitchenAid mixer. I made a little video of the process and shortened it so show only the start and the finish. Blogger's video processor thought it was still too long and sped it up a lot. That's OK, you get the gist of the process. They didn't speed up the audio part. So, if you have 47 seconds to spare, you can watch my latest little movie.



I ended up with 3¼ cups of juice.
The recipe for a batch of jelly calls for 4 cups of juice. Since I knew the harvest was not great, I had a contingency plan. I bought a bottle of Trader Joe's pure pomegranate juice from concentrate. I added some of that to bring the juice up to 4 cups.

I then stood over the hot stove on this hot day (it got up to 88.4 today) stirring the juice, pectin, and sugar and ended up with six half-pint jars of jelly.
Yum!

5 comments:

RetroMag said...

You've probably already told me, but again -- how do you get the seeds and juice out of the omegranate without crushing them?

Chuckbert said...

I score the skins with a knife then break them apart in a bowl of water. I guess that keeps the seeds from flying around the room and keeps any juice from squished seeds from getting in your clothes.

Once the seeds are exposed, they easily pop off the rinds with just a little nudge.

The seeds sink and the schmutz floats.

Poss said...

It looks like your tree got about a dozen more poms than mine did. I hate to leave my little tree after getting it to production stage.

BobbieS53 said...

Mmmmmmm. Nummy!

Shoe said...

Very pretty! Good job.