Friday, January 25, 2008

Cops say the darndest things

We have a real time map of traffic conditions that lets us know what sort of commute we're facing. It has spots marked where there are problems. You can click on the problem spots for details of the accident, pedestrian on the highway, debris in the roadway, and the likes. Occasionally there are nasty wrecks that involve fatalities. No, make that "possible fatalities." I guess police and EMTs aren't qualified to determine that a fatality has occurred so the details of the crash will say that there is a "possible fatality" until it is confirmed by the coroner. Once the coroner confirms the death the details are updated to say that the wreck involved a "confirmed possible fatality."

Once I saw a report of a wreck where the police apparently thought it involved a fatality but might not have been sure. That one had a "possible possible fatality."

Then there was a very bad wreck where four people were killed. That one had "possible multiple possible fatalities."

I wonder why they have to be so noncommittal.


A minor update: You can check out the results of the Google search of the phrase "Cops say the darndest things" to see cop jokes. (Hey, my blog entry already shows up there!)

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Haven't you ever heard of the Undead? You should view Night of the Living Dead.

Anonymous said...

My favorite cop darndest thing was, "I'm right behind you and I'm still chewing my gum!"