Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mush!

Another Christmas present is (apparently) coming to fruition!

For Christmas, Jerry gave me an "Espresso Oyster" Mushroom Patch from Fungi Perfecti. They gave it that name because their first choice for growing them is in coffee grounds. (Coffee! Coffee! All living things need Coffee!) They wanted me to accumulate three gallons of grounds to grow the mushrooms in. If I saved the pucks from our four double espressos each day I imagine I could have accumulated the three gallons in about six months. The mushroom spawn would have died long before then. So I did what had to be done...I went to Starbucks. They put their used coffee grounds in bags for us to take home and put in our gardens.

I put the grounds in a bucket and mixed the spawn in and put the plastic bag over it all. I spritzed it daily and in less than three weeks the first little mushrooms have made their appearance! Soon we'll be enjoying freshly harvested mushrooms.

Soon, we'll get sick of eating mushrooms day after day. We'll cover that later.

Here's a picture of the mushrooms. (Click on it for a close up...you can see the cutest little toadstools!)

The largest clump is about an inch across. But they've grown a lot since they first showed up a couple of days ago. They were about the size of coffee grounds (medium grind).

I hope they're not poisonous.

7 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

YIKES! I always wondered about growing mushrooms in captivity! They are the cutest little things. I bookmarked your blog so I can check up on what you are doing. Maybe I should blog, too...

Chuckbert said...

The first comment in my blog! Thanks, Bobbers!

By the way, I didn't notice that I required a Google account in order to comment. I've changed it so that anybody can comment.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging and mushroom farming!

Boil 'em, mash, 'em, stick 'em in a stew!.....Oh wait that's slugs.

Enjoy your 'shrooms!

Colleen said...

Bobbie, You should definitely blog. Go to blogspot.com and get one for free. You can get a free wiki at pbwiki.com; but they limit your free space--in other words, photos fill it up fast.

Anonymous said...

And after the shrooms are gone you'll still have the tee shirt!

Anonymous said...

They're real cute alright, but you can have my share.

Poss said...

Have you eaten any of these yet? I always thought that we would be orphans when Dad was doing the wild mushroom hunting. No wonder Mom said you could have her share. She has already done her share