Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ivory Chess Set

Here's the ivory chess set Don told Colleen about. The kings, queens and bishops are all different. The knights are basically the same with one facing right and the other left. They hold spears. The rooks are identical pagodas. There are eight different pawns with each side getting a copy.

Royalty:

Bishops:

From what I recall, Jack's mother gave Mom and Dad money to get the kids presents. I don't remember what the occasion might have been. The chess set is what I got.

One question I've had all these years: Where did grandma get her money?

What did my sisters get?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get anything so cool. :(

Kevin has been interested in chess again. He asked for a recieved a chess set for Christmas, and he and Mike have been playing.

Anonymous said...

I certainly don't remember anything about Gram giving us money for gifts for the family, but with my lifelong problem of memory loss, how could I be expected to remember anything dating from January 1969? Anyhow, I resurrected the invoice for the chess set and will get it in the mail, probably on Tuesday. It mentions a Certificate of Origin, but I found only one and it didn't list the chess set. I can't believe I don't still have it! If you ever decide to sell the chess set, I would suppose the invoice would indicate that it was made before the ban on ivory.

BobbieS53 said...

How cool was getting an ivory ches set? Was that the year I got pajamas?

Poss said...

When Dad was buying this, I ordered an ivory Buddha for myself. Mom is checking on the price.
What happened to the balls carved inside the balls?