Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wanna get high?

I got high at lunch today! I set out with my new DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 (their web site seems to be broken right now) and climbed the hill near work. The little GPS doo-dad recorded my every move. Here's a picture of my journey.Work is at the bottom of the trip and up the hill is toward the top. The graph at the bottom shows my altitude vs. distance. From my low spot to the top of the hill is about 500 feet (so I got a little high!). I was puffing for a while.

From a spot near the top I took this picture:
The foreground was burnt in the October wildfires and the buildings in the center of the picture is where I work. (Remember, you can see larger versions of the pictures by clicking on them.)

While I was at the top I chatted with someone who was walking his dog. A friend of his is the forest ranger who was in charge of the controlled burn that turned into the Cerro Grande fire. What a small world, huh? His house was down the hill from here and didn't burn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this is just too cool.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular picture. Interesting that you ran into the friend of the man involved in the start of the Cerro Grande fire. Did he say where he (the Park Ranger) is now?