Thursday, February 7, 2008

Down in the dumps

A few years ago we had cubicles that were eight feet by eight feet. It was decided that that was too large. The industry average size for cubicles (we were told) is around 40 square feet so that's how big cubicles at NCR were going to be (because NCR doesn't need to be more generous with its space than the industry). Not only that but managers will be happy to work in a cubicle. No more offices with doors. If anybody needed privacy they could get it for a short time in a conference room. So our cubicles were reduced to five by eight feet.

And there was much grousing.

I never had much of a problem with the smaller cubicle. After all, I sit in front of the computer monitor and don't use much of the desk space. About the only problem I have with the narrower cubicle is scraping the back of my chair on my whiteboard and that probably annoys whoever is on the other side of the wall than it bothers me.

Then one day I walked into my cubicle with a runny nose and reached to the right as I went through the doorway for a tissue. The tissues weren't there. They never have been. They're down at the far end of the desk. When I was finished with it I went to the far end of the cubicle to put it in the trash and, again, that was the wrong end of the cubicle.

Then it dawned on me...I had been transported our bathroom at home. The two rooms are configured the same. They're long and narrow and when you go through the door there is the horizontal surface along the right hand side of the room and there's a place to sit at the far end. In the bathroom the tissues are by the door and the trashcan is at the other end.

Maybe I do have a problem with my smaller cubicle if it makes me feel like I'm working in the john.

(Not that our bathroom is unpleasant. It's got Jasmin, after all!)

2 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Chuckie! I laughed out loud for a very long time about you working in the john! I pictured your bathroom with you sitting on Jasmine working on your computer...What a visual!

Speaking of working on computers...I forgot to tell you today whilst talking to you that I finally upgraded my computer's memory. It cost more than Mom's did and came in two cards. But I installed them correctly. I forgot where my wireless USB network adapter was plugged in, so it didn't recognize my wireless network after I plugged stuff back in and re started the thing. I decided to unload the driver and re-load so it would know where to go...unfortunately, I unloaded my wireless modem. Oops! So I re-loaded everything and now it is super fast (comparatively speaking...)

Anonymous said...

Maybe there's one advantage to feeling like you're working in your john--it's bigger than your cubicle, isn't it?