Sunday, February 3, 2008

We skipped "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" for this?

We were double booked today. We had tickets for the 2:00 performance of the San Diego Opera's "Tannhäuser" and the 8:00 performance of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" at the California Center for the Arts, Escondido. Tannhäuser was going to last about four hours so that was going to give us just enough time to drive from San Diego back to Escondido, get coffee and supper and shift gears from German Romantic opera to trashy Off-Broadway fluff.

Then San Diego Opera decided that they needed to start at 3:00 instead. So much for the time to get from one to the other. We turned in our tickets to the Trailer Park Musical.

I'm wondering if we made the right decision.

I had never seen Tannhäuser before so it was a good thing to experience but it seemed to be a rather silly story (it didn't seem all that silly while I was growing up with operas on records). Their Venus seemed to be a bit weak and their Tannhäuser seemed to be too strong. The Elisabeth sang well but why is she so determined to save that lout's soul?

I wish I knew how to analyze opera.

(I wonder how the Trailer Park Musical was.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chuck. It's me. Karen Karger. Long time no communicate! Colleen sent me a link to your blog so I can see what's up all the way from Portland.

Chuckbert said...

Hi, Karen-NotMySister! Welcome! I kept meaning to send you a note with news and to announce this little blog but I put things off and off and off...

I did send Don a note saying he could answer some of the questions that have come up about him but nothing from him yet. (Don, if you're lurking out there, come on in!)

Chuckbert said...

Shoot! I just checked the mail and my card to Don came back "Attempted -- Not Known, Unable to forward"

I wonder where he is these days.

Anonymous said...

Do you have this address for Don? I used it for his Christmas card and it didn't come back:

4778 Winewood Village Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80917-1223

Chuckbert said...

Hurrah! We have Don's address! I'll send the card back on its way. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Chuck,
Shift gears, which is better/easier navigation system? Magellan or Garmin? P-Club has several with $100 off. And we will be going on some wild rides in the near future.
Thanks for your expertise.