Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hello. I'm Charles E. and I'm an alcoholic

Well, maybe not an alcoholic but I do drink a beer every three or four months (that makes me a borderline alcoholic, doesn't it?). Tonight was one of those times!

A few years ago, we went to a kitchen store in search of an Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker (I'll have to tell of my experiences with that sometime). We found the AeroPress and also found another turtle for our collection. They had a Lagerhead Black & Tan Turtle. I didn't read the card it was attached to so I didn't know what it was supposed to be. It was an unusual turtle and that's enough for me so I got it.
The owner of the store asked if I like black and tans. I had no idea what he was asking but figured it had to do with the turtle. I told him we collect turtles.

When we got it home I finally read the instructions on the card and was intrigued. Imagine, two beers of different densities could be put in one glass and not mix! I had to try it out.

Background information: After our little ceremony for Dad at the cemetery we had dinner where Mom had a Guinness Stout in memory of Dad. She let me try it. Yum! (Why do I start with strong flavors? Espresso before regular coffee. Guinness before Bud (well, I still don't drink Bud). Wagner before Mozart.)

I was ready to put the turtle to use and make the Black and Tans.

Tonight we had pizza and beer.

The pizza was good. The beer was good.

Black and Tan
1 Bottle Henninger beer
1 Can Murphy's Draught Style Stout

Pour one-half bottle of the Henninger into a pint glass. Let it chug to make a head. Place the Lagerhead Turtle on the rim of the glass. Gently pour half of the Murphy's stout over the turtle's shell. Repeat with other glass.
Amazingly, the two beers don't mix. The stout is less dense and floats on top. Such a gimmick!

We used these beers because we were got them at Trader Joe's. TJ's didn't have Guinness. I hope the Guinness company isn't too mad at me for putting Murphy's in their glasses.


5 comments:

Shoe said...

I would really like to see a photo demonstration! ;)

P-Doobie said...

I was born liking beer. Michele likes to get a black and tan at the Zia Diner in Santa Fe.

When P and I were on a bus in Dublin, a Guinness truck was alongside us. The overflow valve was spilling Guinness into the street. P had his nose pressed against the window and was whimpering.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you like beer. I thought you were teetotalers. Don't the beers mix together even when you keep tipping the glass to drink them?

Chuckbert said...

Teetotalers? Nope. We drink, um, eat fruitcake!

And, no, the beers stay separated pretty much to the end.

Poss said...

I guess since your mother was a Murphy, it should be o-k to use the family brew.