Saturday, February 23, 2008

Spring brings weeds

Now that we've had rains and we're headed towards spring, the weeds start coming out. Some of the weeds are not so annoying to me. The buttercup oxalis is starting to bloom. Their bright yellow blossoms against their green leaves are so pretty. (Maybe that's me just being true to my school. You know, "Go Toppers, go, for the green and for the gold!")

Here is a patch under one of the birdbaths.
And a large clump taking over the iris patch.
They shrivel up and go away when the things we want to grow want to grow so I don't get in a tizzy over them.

I do pull them out of the spring-flowering bulb patch. Over there they are in competition with the things that are supposed to be growing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Kevin was little, I was babysitting, and he walked into the room chewing on a pretty yellow flower and asked me if I would like to try it. "It's sourgrass, it's delicious..you should try it." I called Mikey who called poison control, who said it would not kill a kid, but shouldn't really be eaten.
I do believe that it is the flower/weed in your garden. Try it, "it's delicious!
Poss

Shoe said...

There is more to the story as to why we called Poison Control (and I remember it was I who called, btw) on President's Day weekend, 1994. Kevin also broke out in horrible itchy spots the same day he had been chewing on Sour Grass. Turns out he had contracted Chicken Pox! Poison Control assured us that the spots were not at all related to the flower-chewing. Kev received both gifts of loving Sour Grass and contracting Chicken Pox from the kids at Taundra's.

I was just noticing the Sour Grass in our yard today, too. I think it is a cheery spring flower, too!

Chuckbert said...

We went to the grocery store this afternoon and passed a large field that was completely covered with these oxalises. It was gorgeous!

Soon we'll get to go through this again with the wild mustard.

Anonymous said...

My gardening expertise is so great that not even these pretty little (weeds?) will grow.