Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fingernails

I have a lot of problems with fingernails. Mostly with other people's but occasionally with mine.

Mine first

My fingernails are thin. Razor thin. I have slashed myself with my nails. This usually happens when I'm pulling up my socks and I lose my grip (how hard do I tug on my socks?). My hand flies across my other hand and one of its little razors slices through my skin. My toenails also leave cuts on my legs when they grow out the least bit and I scratch a leg with the other foot's toenails. Those long, parallel tracks down my calves are kind of interesting.

Then I have a very odd sensation in my fingertips when the nails get around a 1/16th of an inch long and I fold towels and washcloths to put them away. I can't really describe it but I get chills up my arms when my nails slide across terry cloth. (This is what inspired this little essay.) I think the problem happens when the thin nails start eroding and get ragged. They seem to catch on the loops in an odd way. It's weird.

Even though I'm not fond of long (1/16th inch is long?) nails, I seem to have a hard time trimming them. I smashed one finger in a door while at college. Under that nail seems to have been scarred and the skin underneath forgets to let go of the nail as it grows out. Trimming that nail usually nicks that skin. Maybe that's why I let the nails grow longer than I'm comfortable with.

Enough about my nails.


Other People's Nails

I have a major problem with fingernails that aren't attached to fingers. My mind seems to be on constant lookout for loose nails. I encounter loose nails a lot. One day while walking up the stairs at work I happened to see somebody's fingernail on the floor and that freaked me out.

Trimming nails in the stairway is one thing but in a meeting? I was in a meeting I had no interest in and one of the attendees felt the need to clip his nails. (Maybe he was as interested in the meeting as I was.) He was good at it and didn't have to look at what he was doing. At one point he had his hands above his head and was clipping away. I wanted to run out of the room screaming but I kept calm somehow.

Jerry knows of my problem with loose nails. One day he warned me that one of his got away from him in the bathroom. He tried to save me from it but couldn't find it. I later went into the bathroom and my fingernail detector instantly found it. I called for help. I wouldn't touch it.

(There are occasionally false alarms. One day I got freaked out over what turned out to be a shred of Parmesan cheese on the floor that missed its plate of spaghetti.)


Flying Fingernail

I was in the checkout line at a grocery store when a red thing came flying across the store. This was in the old days when cash registers had buttons that were spring loaded. A cashier nearby had pressed on a key and her finger slipped off of it and the button sprang back and threw her glued on nail in my direction. It missed. She and my cashier had a good laugh over this.


Long Fingernails

Long nails bother me and I don't want to be touched by them. I shudder when I see a cashier with long nails digging change out of the drawer for me. Maybe that's why I usually use credit cards now.


Extreme Fingernails

Jerry and I were flying to or from New Mexico and were changing planes in Phoenix. We spent the long time between flights being fascinated by a woman who had the longest, ugliest nails I've ever seen. They were four or five inches long if you ran a measuring tape along the surface of the nails. If you measured from the tip of the nail to the fingertip it would be much less. They curled like corkscrews. She protected them from damage by wrapping them in scotch tape or saran wrap or something like that. How could she find those nails attractive? How can she function with those nails? She couldn't possibly dig change out of a cash register drawer or even hold a pen. It must have been a control thing. Like watching that train wreck, as horrified as I was by them I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. (Remembering those is surely going to give me nightmares.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck,
don't look for the fingernail clippers at Moms. Trust me.
of course you know this site:
www.worldslongestfingernails.com

Chuckbert said...

Oh, Poss, how can you do this to me? I am familiar with the clippers at Mom's you're warning me about. I shiver thinking of them.

And it's not nice to make me look at the worldslongestfingernails.

Nightmares are definitely on their way.

Anonymous said...

We saw that lady at LAX once. ICK!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Chuckbert. It's like scabs--as long as they are attached to the skin, they're O.K. But when they fall of (or are picked off), they are nauseating.

And as for my loose clippings -- I used to file my nails until Bobbie pointed out that it's not good for your nails. So I've been using clip0pers for only the past little while. And I (mistakenly) thought the nails went flying into the wastebasket. I had no idea until today's blog discussion thatthey stayed in the clipper!

Anonymous said...

How do you clean out the clippers? I'm sorry that my oversight (no-sight?) has been offensive! Sometimes not being able to see is a blessing!

Chuckbert said...

Mom, I didn't know that there was a problem with your clippers hanging onto nails.

The problem I have with the clippers I thought Poss was warning me about is the way they clip my nails. Their action is sort of tentative. I need fingernail clippers to be very assertive. The ones I remember at your house just give me the heebie-jeebies.

Anonymous said...

O-k
it seems that the nails tend to hang up on the clippers, then fall out in the little container that Mom has them and the files in. Every time I go up I clean them out, because I know how Mom is about nail clippings. I will refrain from mentioning them again, but I will still clear them out for Mom.

Anonymous said...

O.K., Chuckbert and Poss. Thanks for clearing up the problems with the nail clippers and clippings. And thanks, Poss, for clering OU
the storage tray. BUT NOBODY ANSWERED MY QUESTION ABOUT HOW TO CLEAN OUT THE CLIPPERS IN THE FIRST PLACE SO THEY DON'T LEAVE CLIPPINGS ATTACHED!

Anonymous said...

Is it a Zwilling? From Amazon.com: "Simply lift the clipper slightly from holder and shake out clippings."

Or is this one yours, Mom?

BobbieS53 said...

YIKES! YIKES! YIKES! Talking bout clipping nails gives me the heebie jeebies! I hate the clipping stuff at work, too...but a meeting! I would run screaming from the room, yanking on my hair if that happened to me. I looked at that website of the longest nails...who would want them like that! Remember Jackie Joyner Kersee resting on her nails before she ran? Man! I makes me nauseous.

Anonymous said...

When I worked in waste management, the guy across the hall would clip his fingernails every! single! day! They must have grown very fast. Finally, he moved on to another job, and I got to move into his office because it was bigger than my previous cell. When I opened the desk drawer, the pencil tray was full of fingernail parings. Grossed me out of existence.

-pegbert