Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Was a Teenage John Bircher

Today we heard that William F. Buckley, Jr. died. In high school I would watch "Firing Line" religiously. But my poor little brain seems to have forgotten whether I watched to see Mr. Buckley beat up on the liberal guests or whether I was rooting for his victims. I loved listening to (and watching) Mr. Buckley's delivery of his big words (most of which flew past me ununderstood) and ideas.

One thing that Mr. Buckley gave me was the love of Baroque music. I do believe that his use of the part of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #2 as his program's theme music made me look into the rest of the piece then the rest of the Brandenburgs then maybe the rest of Bach. Go, Bach!

But maybe I watched because I thought I believed in the Conservative ideals. You see, there was a conservative (to put it mildly) radio program I listened to I am very ashamed to admit.

When KRSN was signing off for the day, they would play H. L. Hunt's "Freedom Talks." I would listen. Regularly. Fortunately, I have no recollection of what any of the little talks were about. (Sometimes I think it is good that I have blocked so much of my youth out!)

I'm sure Jack wasn't proud of this interest since he was surely asleep and had no knowledge of what I was listening to. I wonder if I gave any of the rest of the family nightmares. (My big sisters were probably off at college by that time. Did Mom worry about me?)

Whew! That's off my chest! I'm off to say my three dozen Hail Marys.

8 comments:

Shoe said...

I liked his voice. Very erudite. And those big words along with it. Whoosh!

P-Doobie said...

I liked Bill Buckley, too. He cracked me up sometimes. He puts the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter to shame. May his name be a blessing.

And as long as confession is good for the soul, here goes. I belonged to the National Rife Association. The national outdoor center for the NRA is near Raton, and P and I joined so that we could go there for free to hike, camp, and explore the site of an old coal-mining town. I shot my .22 rifle there, too.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go do a few laps around the beads, too.

Colleen said...

Chuck, I remember telling you that I loved baroque music, and you said, "But it's so simple!" You liked Wagner, as I recall.
Did you know that Wm Buckley Jr. supported medical marijuana?

Chuckbert said...

Speaking of NRA membership: Jack put a Life Member of the NRA sticker on the tailgate of the Carryall. I got to take it to college and I had to advertise the NRA. He eventually gave me the truck and the first thing I did when I got it put in my name was to scrape that sticker off. It was not designed to be removed so some of the paint came off with it.

Some time after that Jack noticed that the sticker was gone and was somewhat upset. I explained that the car was now mine and I didn't want to be associated with the NRA.

Another thing about the NRA...for some reason I seem to remember that Jack told me that when he got his life membership that he put it in my name. You know, get a better value for his money by having the membership last longer than he does. I don't know if that was true and Mom canceled his membership.

Chuckbert said...

So I dismissed baroque music. Well, times change! And I'm glad they do. I love baroque music and have for years.

Baroque opera is great. Park and Bark is the best! My Sirius radio can record programs. I still have Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice from last year's Met season and Iphigénie en Tauride from earlier this season on it. I need to listen to those again before I erase them. (Or I should copy them to CD.)

Anonymous said...

And don't ask me what I thought of the radio and TV programs you watched--I was probably out in the kitchen washing dishes, or maybe even in bed when they were on. And I think it was Mother Earth News that he subscribed to in your name. I think the magazine expired. You sure you don't want the American Rifleman magazines from the '40s to 2002???
I still have them!

Shoe said...

He put the lifetime subscription to Mother Earth News in my name. I was the youngest, so presumably, the subscription would last the longest.

I see on their website that it is still being published. Did they actually honor the lifetime subscription? As I recall there was some funny business about that.

Chuckbert said...

Whew! I'm glad to hear that I won't be losing my Liberal card over the NRA!

Too bad the lifetime subscription to Mother Earth News ran out. Jerry is getting it these days. I keep forgetting to read it.

And I don't want American Rifleman. Thanks for asking.